Help stop Microsoft updates from being so annoying!

Every time a Windows update occurs, Outlook defaults back to the annoying "you should only open attachments from a trustworthy source". How can I stop this?

I've tried Googling, but the only thing that comes up refers to questions about the "always ask before opening this type of file" being grayed out - that is not my case, as I have administrative rights on my computer.

I hate that Microsoft assumes I'm that much of a moron that everytime an update happens, I have to once again go through this warning for each .doc, .rtf, .xls, .ppt, .pdf and god knows what other file that exists out there that may contain a virus or worm. It seems that by the time I go through all the possible attachments, I get another Windows update, and have to start all over again. Really annoying.

If it matters, I'm running XP Professional
posted by walleeguy to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Which version of outlook are you using? Outlook express?
posted by Admira at 6:35 PM on June 12, 2009

But in leiu of knowing that, i would have a look here. I would try that, explort the changes you make to a .reg file, then if the problem reoccurs, reapply the .reg file after windows updates.

Let me know if you need more details around exporting registry keys.
posted by Admira at 7:12 PM on June 12, 2009

Outlook is the most annoying component of the Office suite for any number of reasons. I think it was actually designed by Clippit.

What is it that's tying you to Outlook and preventing a switch to a less idiotic email client?
posted by flabdablet at 7:05 AM on June 13, 2009

« Older Concert, but no car...   |   Looking for a comfortable, family-friendly hotel... Newer »