Men's sweater styles & patterns
June 1, 2009 12:23 PM   Subscribe

Looking for an image of a kind of men's sweater I'd like to have made. It's a pullover, with straight rows, round neck, but with a 2-3 row ring where the shoulders meet the torso. I've only seen these in solid colors. The one I once had was heavy, water proof, warm and wonderful. I saw an image recently on the Net but failed to bookmark it correctly and cannot now find it. What I'm looking for is probably European, maybe British.
posted by NorthCoastCafe to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total)
Sounds like it might be a Guernsey (from the Channel Islands)
posted by idb at 12:30 PM on June 1, 2009

Does it have a ring that goes all the way around the sweater or are there rings right where the arms inserts into the body of the sweater? idb is probably on to something. Guernseys are a classic British Isles sweater style. If the ring goes all the way around the shoulders, then you may be looking at a seamless yoke sweater (example)
posted by Foam Pants at 10:19 PM on June 1, 2009

Patterned yokes are associated with Icelandic sweaters (and maybe other Scandinavian too?).
posted by LobsterMitten at 10:44 PM on June 1, 2009

Just to give you two more search terms, for solid-color sweaters knit in the UK with patterns of raised stitches:

Guernseys or Ganseys - This page has one with horizontal lines around the torso (from armpit to armpit) - is that what you mean?

Aran sweaters are another type of UK handknit in solid colors with raised stitch patterns.

Both have a variety of stitch patterns; shouldn't be hard to make a pattern for what you're after.
posted by LobsterMitten at 10:56 PM on June 1, 2009

« Older Professor calling female students beautiful- is...   |   I want to know more about bindweed/morning glory... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.