What is the name for this type of fencing?
May 31, 2009 4:35 PM   Subscribe

What is the name for this type of fence? Fairly thin metal posts with lots of tabs punched out onto which a large metal mesh can be placed (not chain link) and fastened. (And where can I get some?)

I remember this type of fence growing up but never knew the name of it. Now I like to get some, but I can't find it anywhere and since I don't know the name of it, and can't ask for it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
posted by imposster to Shopping (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Is this fencing an example of what you were thinking of?
posted by mmascolino at 4:42 PM on May 31, 2009

Best answer: It's called "utility fence."
posted by sonic meat machine at 4:50 PM on May 31, 2009

Best answer: Oh, and the posts themselves are "t-posts."
posted by sonic meat machine at 4:52 PM on May 31, 2009

Actually mine that have the mesh are U-posts. T-posts are the ones that work with the electric fencing. (Fence post pullers that work on T-posts don't work on U-posts without improvisation. Discovering this was delightful.) Here is the fencing I think you mean, in the background of this photo. It comes in rolls of maybe 20-25 feet, get the vinyl covered or it'll just rust. The posts are maybe $3.50 each. Home Depot or your local hardware-garden place has it. (The T-posts, I have to get those at the feed store or Tractor Supply Co.)

You really want a Fence Post Driver.

And I never got the bendy tabs to work so great with the wire mesh. I attached the mesh to the posts with black outdoor zip ties through the little holes.
posted by Lou Stuells at 5:59 PM on May 31, 2009

Mod note: comment removd - please do not link to google image searches that are NSFW if you can help it.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 6:01 PM on May 31, 2009

Around here it's called "farm fencing." You can get the mesh infill in several patterns and heights to deal with different animals. I agree with Lou to not use the bendy tabs on the posts. Use ties or clips. You can buy bits of wire pre-cut for clips, or you can save some money by cutting your own from galvanized wire. In my area, you can get it at any major home supply store (Lowe's, Menard's) and at farm supply places.
posted by PatoPata at 6:13 PM on May 31, 2009

Hey, it's also called "woven wire fence," which makes sense. Photo here.
posted by PatoPata at 6:18 PM on May 31, 2009

Response by poster: Yes, farm fence and utility fence seem to be what I am looking for. The style linked by mmascolino is not what I am thinking of. My intended purpose is to use it for trellising raspberries and I though the tabs at various heights would be useful for securing lines (although, I'd probably use some type of wire fastener or wench-type thing to hold it on rather than the tabs themselves.) I'm still not sure where to get it. I'm near Columbus if anyone has any suggestions.
posted by imposster at 6:41 PM on May 31, 2009

Response by poster: After further review, it appears that I am specifically looking for "studded t-post." The nearby Lowes' carries them so it should be no problem picking them up. Thanks for all the help.
posted by imposster at 6:47 PM on May 31, 2009

For what it's worth, I've always known this type of fence as a "page wire fence".
posted by davey_darling at 8:21 PM on May 31, 2009

Page was actually the name of a manufacturer of a woven wire fencing which lent it name to woven wire fence in many places. Classic case of trademark genericization.
posted by Mitheral at 12:19 AM on June 1, 2009

« Older How can I keep my clothes from fading?   |   Help me find the best vet in Southeastern VA! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.