Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw.

Where can I get prickly pear cactus fruit in New York City? And when is it likely to be found? I'm looking to procure roughly 5 to 6 pounds of the fruit.
posted by Greg Nog to Food & Drink (8 answers total)

Definitely in Chinatown, but I'm not sure of the season for it.
posted by Grither at 12:31 PM on May 11, 2009

West Side Market near Columbia (Bway & 110) frequently has them. Call to check.
posted by limon at 12:42 PM on May 11, 2009

This thread seems to indicate that they can be had in some of the delis on Lee Ave, in your very own Wburg under the Hebrew name for cactus "sabra."
posted by rmless at 1:05 PM on May 11, 2009

I've seen them at the Essex market on the lower east side, but I don't know how regularly they have them.
posted by newpotato at 1:48 PM on May 11, 2009

The prickly pears in southern Arizona are just now flowering, so fruit won't be available until later in the summer. It sounds like the Israeli fruit is more commonly available, though.
posted by magicbus at 2:27 PM on May 11, 2009

I just stopped by the Garden of Eden (107 and Broadway) and the manager said that they were sold out right now but are expecting a shipment tomorrow. They are 99 cents each.
posted by amicamentis at 2:59 PM on May 11, 2009

I don't know New York, or if they're in season now, but FWIW, I find them more easily in the Italian areas of Toronto than anywhere else.
posted by Chuckles McLaughy du Haha, the depressed clown at 6:59 AM on May 12, 2009

fruit won't be available until later in the summer.

I think I'll wait until later to make the recipe I'm using them in (prickly pear fruit mead, from Papazian's Complete Joy of Home Brewing). However, for anyone who's curious, I called the specific places listed in this thread, none of them had the fruit available when I called, and then I found them at the grocery in Chelsea Market.
posted by Greg Nog at 4:30 PM on June 9, 2009

« Older Happy First Mother's Day?   |   Eurovision w/out a TV? Newer »