Playlist for crush

I'm assembling a playlist to tell a boy that I have a crush on him. Suggestions?

No songs that reference love or heartbreak, please. We're not even close to those stages yet. "Everything disappears when you come around" by Of Montreal is a good example of the kind of lyrics that I'm looking for. Any music genre would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone! And don't worry, I won't forget to tell him how I feel.
posted by anonymous to Media & Arts (58 answers total) 45 users marked this as a favorite

Meet Me In The City by The Black Keys (covering Junior Kimbrough) is a good pick. Putting the Kimbrough version on is classier, but depends on whether your target is open to poorly-recorded early blues.

Happy Day by Andrew Bird (off of Fingerlings)

I Thought You Were My Boyfriend (by The Magnetic Fields) is a good pick if you're up to the 'winking' stage of flirting.
posted by tmcw at 8:08 PM on May 2, 2009

Could I Be Your Girl? by Jane Arden. The ultimate crush song. I put this on a mix tape for someone once... and he got the message (in a good way).
posted by kimdog at 8:09 PM on May 2, 2009 [2 favorites]

Crap... that's Jann Arden. I adore her. Can't believe I typoed.
posted by kimdog at 8:10 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

"my favorite chords" by the weakerthans

this may be a little creepier than you're looking for, but maybe "i'll believe in anything" by wolf parade
posted by hellogoodbye at 8:12 PM on May 2, 2009

Sneaky Feelings by Elvis Costello. If it's not too overt.
posted by corey flood at 8:14 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

I've Got a Crush on You - Frank Sinatra. It's pretty awesome. If you're averse to putting someone so old on your playlist, lots of others have sung it too, but none nearly as well.
posted by iconomy at 8:20 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

"things i like to do" by ben kweller - it's my favorite cutesy song these days.
posted by kerning at 8:22 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

I've Got a Crush on You - Frank Sinatra.

Beat me to it. Rod Stewart did a version of it, too.
posted by torquemaniac at 8:23 PM on May 2, 2009

Might I point out listening to the song "Mix Tape" from Avenue Q? Not only is it a good selection, it talks about the ah, mixed messages one might send with the tape. Be sure to make yours clear!
posted by jenfullmoon at 8:30 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Stand by Me by Pennywise is a nice punkish rendition.
I'm the Only One by Meliss Etheridge is nice too.
I Need You Tonight by INXS rocks with passion.
Sugar In My Bowl by Nina Simone makes one sway and feel sexy.
posted by alteredcarbon at 8:36 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

"Flower" by Liz Phair. Or maybe some Lords of Acid.
posted by ShadePlant at 8:46 PM on May 2, 2009 [3 favorites]

Very direct and naughty, naughty!: For You by the Sugar Twins
posted by oflinkey at 8:47 PM on May 2, 2009

Staying with Frank (although it has been recorded by many others): "I've got you under my skin"...and yeah, definitely some Lords of Acid.
posted by mmascolino at 8:52 PM on May 2, 2009

Us by Regina Spektor

What a Wonderful Man by My Morning Jacket

Can't you Hear Me Knocking by The Rolling Stones

I Want You by The Beatles
posted by Midnight Rambler at 8:58 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

i would suggest that for as something as personal as music that you at least be in the ballpark of what he likes. strangers have no idea about individuals.
posted by the aloha at 9:07 PM on May 2, 2009

Ok Go's "It's Tough to Have a Crush" is absolutely perfect.

I actually discovered that I had a crush on my now-husband when I did a last listen to a mix CD I had made him and realized that this song was so frickin' obvious. (I didn't send him that CD until years later when he knew.)
posted by Gucky at 9:20 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

(They long to be) Close to You by The Carpenters

covered well by The Cranberries
posted by Bonzai at 9:27 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

I'd avoid "Sugar In My Bowl" by Nina Simone ... the most overtly sexual song EVER!
If you do want some Nina Simone (which I recommend), Feelin' Good might work better.

I Want To Hold Your Hand" or When I'm 64 by the Beatles
You've Made Me So Very Happy by Blood, Sweat & Tears
Um, I don't know how nerdy you two are, but there's always Laundry Day (My Freeze Ray) from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog. If you haven't seen it, never mind.
Lullaby of Birdland (the Ella Fitzgerald version)
Better Together by Jack Johnson
Anyone Else But You from Juno. Maybe too cutesy... but it makes me smile!
What I like About You by the Romantics
Your Personal Penguin by Davy Jones
First Day of my Life by Bright Eyes
Wishful Thinking by the Ditty Bops
I Get a Kick Out of You by pretty much any jazz musician ever, but I like the Jamie Cullum version.

I hope *something* in here was helpful!
posted by ChuraChura at 9:27 PM on May 2, 2009 [2 favorites]

The Marvelettes: Beechwood 4-5789
Steely Dan: Bodhisattva
Brian Jonestown Massacre: Jennifer
Freddy Cannon: Palisades Park
Dream Syndicate: When You Smile
Fur Patrol: Now
The Mutton Birds: Your Window
The Pipettes: Tell Me What You Want
Hooverphonic: This Strange Effect
posted by jet_silver at 9:32 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Isobel Campbell - The Cat's Pyjama's

posted by schyler523 at 9:34 PM on May 2, 2009

Singing In My Sleep by Semisonic is a great self-aware mixtape song. I think you can get away with the line "now I'm falling in love too fast, with you or the songs you chose" even though it references love.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Bewitched by Beat Happening if you want to say that you have a crush on someone!
posted by joydivasian at 9:39 PM on May 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder has great 'crush' lyrics
posted by Miastar at 9:47 PM on May 2, 2009

The Shoes - In My Arms Again
posted by rhizome at 10:14 PM on May 2, 2009

Morrissey - I Like You
posted by HFSH at 10:44 PM on May 2, 2009

Academia by Sia Furler.
posted by numinous at 10:51 PM on May 2, 2009

Singing In My Sleep is a good one, even if it does mention love.

How about:

First Sight by These United States
Be Still My Heart by the Postal Service
Are You Lightning by Nada Surf
posted by roomwithaview at 11:14 PM on May 2, 2009

Police - Next to You
In case of success, this is also recommended.
posted by _dario at 11:17 PM on May 2, 2009

I love I'll Believe In Anything, but it's the kind of song that would only work if you two already have a very intense relationship.

Weezer's Falling For You would be perfect, as would Letters to Cleo's I Want You To Want Me. Both cute and poppy.

If you're fine with older stuff, also consider Astrud Gilberto's So Nice (Summer Samba). If you're looking for something overtly sexual and awesome, there's always Etta James' I Just Wanna Make Love To You — straightfoward as hell.
posted by thisjax at 11:29 PM on May 2, 2009

carpenters - Close To You
I should warn you, the accompanying video to the song is somethin' special.
posted by silkygreenbelly at 11:35 PM on May 2, 2009

As far as not screaming "I love you," and leaving some room for error, these are good:

"Who would know" by Joe Henry should be a standard by now, but no one has a clue who he is, and I don't think that the CD is available anymore.

"Ray" by Aimee Mann is pretty dark, but a fantastic song about not being brave enough to acknowledge needing or wanting each other.

"Honey Don't Think" by Grant Lee Buffalo also has some of that darkness.

"Nowhere Near" by Yo La Tengo is perfect, but she starts to let the L-word slip out and then stops near the end. Don't know if that's cool....

As far as loose and fun:

"Center of Gravity" by Yo La is also pretty appropriate.

Not for everyone, but "The New Teller" by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers is pretty earnest (which makes it so hilarious). Kind of the consummate crush song. Half of Jonathan Richman's catalog would work, but you love him or hate him.

There are a lot of Ramones songs that go a hair farther than you sound like you want to go. Still, they are so "cutesy," simplistic and cartoonish that they stay really light. In an ironic sense, they use the word "love" all over everything and it sounds like you want to avoid going that far; "I Want You Around" comes to mind from "Road to Ruin," though. No talk of love.

The Clash have "1-2 Crush on You." That's kind of a no-brainer.

Good luck.
posted by dirtypants at 11:38 PM on May 2, 2009

Blatant suggestion: "Crush" by Jennifer Paige.
posted by No New Diamonds Please at 11:47 PM on May 2, 2009

some dance songs - not about love, but those early stages...
The Jets - Crush On You
Lisa Lisa - Lost In Emotion
Aurra - Checking You Out
Esther Williams - You Gotta Let Me Show You
Chuck Carbo - Can I Be Your Squeeze?
Bootsy Collins - Rather Be With You

some rock
The Jam - I Need You (For Someone)
Blondie - In The Flesh
Pete Dello - It's The Way
Them/Bram Rigg Set/Ambertones/Richard Hell et al - I Can Only Give You Everything
Sam & Dave/Cold Blood's - You Got Me Hummin'

and a bit mellower, but more evocative perhaps...
Arthur Russell - Get Around To It
show me what the girl does to the boy/show me what you most enjoy/learning more about you, i hope it's never ever finished/and what it's like when i'm your new toy...if you can get around to it.

Yay! Springtime crushes and mixtapes!
posted by stachemaster at 12:06 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

also, i'm not sure if it's still as active as it used to be, but Art of the Mix should have thousands of crushed-out mix tapes in their database.
posted by stachemaster at 12:10 AM on May 3, 2009

You Don't Know My Name - Alicia Keys This is crushtastic. It has to be on the mixtape. It's all about crushing on a guy.

The following are different ways of saying "I like you very much and think about you a lot. Do you like me and/or do you think we can get together? 'Cause we totally should."
Sittin Up in My Room - Brandy
I Wanna Be Down - Brandy
Every Little Thing I Do - Soul For Real
Everywhere - Michelle Branch
A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
Automatic - Pointer Sisters
Can't You See (What you do to me) - Total
Fever - Peggy Lee
Digital Love - Daft Punk
Tell Me - Groove Theory
Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Lauryn Hill
Mercedes Boy - Pebbles
Sway - Dean Martin
Let the Music Play - Shannon
Can't Fight this Feeling - REO Speedwagon
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison
See You Again - Miley Cyrus

Crush on You - The Jets
This is a bit meta, but that's why I would totally put it on a crush mixtape. It asks a someone how they found out about a crush the singer has on them.

Just Friends - Musiq
Not actually about friendship. It's "Hey, I like you. We can get together or be friends. I'm cool either way."

These are just romantic as hell, although some do mention the l word.
Take Me With You - Prince
Knocks Me Off My Feet - Stevie Wonder
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler
Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder
Breathe - Faith Hill
Zing Went the Strings of My Heart - Pearl Bailey
The link goes to a Judy Garland version. I prefer Bailey's but couldn't find it online.
posted by nooneyouknow at 12:28 AM on May 3, 2009

knock, knock by lenka "when life had locked me out, i came to you - so open the door!"
posted by nadawi at 12:51 AM on May 3, 2009

"Cheer" by the Descendents!
posted by macrowave at 12:52 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

There is sincerely no sexier tune that has ever existed on God's green earth, no more sultry instance of sonic seduction, than that classic tune by Betty Davis (the one who was married to Miles):

Anti Love Song [1973]

Betty Davis is a goddess among women, and I'm certain that Miles Davis, man though he was, trembled in her presence. She's living proof that strong, sexy women are fucking unstoppable. I will say it again, in case anybody misses it: THE ABOVE IS THE SEXIEST SONG IN ALL OF RECORDED HUMAN HISTORY. You have been warned. I take no responsibility for what it does to you or to him.

And it's not even the only great song Betty did that would fit your purpose. The titles generally speak for themselves, but don't let that stop you from listening to them.

If I'm In Luck, I Just Might Get Picked Up [1973]
Game Is My Middle Name [1973]
They Say I'm Different [1974]
Shut Off The Light [1975]
Gettin' Kicked Off, Havin' Fun [1975]
The Lone Ranger [1975]
Nasty Gal [1975]
F. U. N. K. [1975]

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm long overdue for a cold shower.
posted by koeselitz at 1:54 AM on May 3, 2009 [8 favorites]

"You Don't Know Me" (you'll have your pick of cover versions for that one)
"I Will" (I think the Beatles' version is the best one)
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 2:55 AM on May 3, 2009

Now, if you want to go for sheer irony, as a joke, once you've already sent him the real list, you can send him this one. It needs to stay in order, and really, he needs to pay attention to the song names (straight down) more than anything, but here you go:

I Hate You - Slayer

Living Dissection - Cannibal Corpse
In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death - Marilyn Manson
Kong At The Gates - The Misfits
Enriched By Evil - Dark Funeral

You're No Good - KMFDM
Over Blekdende Blaner Til Dommedag - Dimmu Borgir
Unleashing The Bloodthirsty - Cannibal Corpse
posted by disillusioned at 3:14 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

Garbage - #1 Crush is sort of the DEFCON 1 of 'I like you' songs.
posted by permafrost at 4:18 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

Stevie Wonder - Too Shy to Say ("I wanna be more than a friend...")
Stevie Wonder - Love Having You Around
Beatles - Got to Get You into my Life
Beatles - It Won't Be Long
Beatles - I'll Get You
posted by Jaltcoh at 5:21 AM on May 3, 2009

Betty Everett - It's In His Kiss (The Shoop Shoop Song) is "overt" in a decidedly 1964 sensibility. And it's fun.
posted by fydfyd at 5:37 AM on May 3, 2009

OK, dissident voice here -- consider a mix tape that has lots of great songs on it, having nothing in particular to do crushes and the like, with just a few crush songs on it . . . maybe a brief pause near the end, then your favorite.

Presentation should be sweet, not stalkerish.
posted by Clyde Mnestra at 5:50 AM on May 3, 2009 [2 favorites]

The Quiz by Hello Saferide. It's not as light and fluffy as some of the great songs already mentioned, but it's one of my favorites "first stages of love" songs.

(good luck!)
posted by bluestocking at 6:27 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

i'm going to say "Anti love song", while the sexiest song ever, may send the wrong message depending on the person. Nevertheless everyone should listen to that song at least once.
posted by mezamashii at 6:29 AM on May 3, 2009

Everyday Is A Holiday (With You) - Esthero
posted by carabiner at 6:39 AM on May 3, 2009

Ricky Lee Jones "On The Street Where You Live"

And I'd consider Clyde Mnestra's offering. Maybe a whole barrage of this genre is too much.
A compilation of songs that you really like, of whatever theme, sprinkled a few crush songs among them, and the most perfect one at the end.
posted by sparrowdance at 7:27 AM on May 3, 2009

Silver Jews - Sleeping is the only love
posted by miasma at 7:48 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

My Bloody Valentine: Cupid Come
posted by hellboundforcheddar at 8:06 AM on May 3, 2009 [1 favorite]

Almost anything by Beat Happening would work.

Bewitched might be a little too blunt

Our Secret is more subtle.
posted by swellingitchingbrain at 11:59 AM on May 3, 2009

It's You by Pictures and Sound
posted by nnk at 12:41 PM on May 3, 2009

2nding Garbage's #1 Crush, & maybe The Cure's Close to You.
posted by Pronoiac at 12:58 PM on May 3, 2009

Weezer - Falling for You
Neko Case - Favorite
Elliott Smith - Say Yes
Brendan Benson - Metarie (This one is absolutely essential. Trust).
posted by futureisunwritten at 3:15 PM on May 3, 2009

Practically anything by the violent femmes, including but not limited to:

Prove my love
Kiss off
Add it up
At your feet
All I want

And so on, and so forth.
posted by Mephisto at 8:57 PM on May 3, 2009

"Everything disappears when you come around" by Of Montreal is a good example

Wow... I made a mix CD for a crush last year, and it started with "Baby" by of Montreal. It also had Weezer's "Falling For You" which has already been mentioned. It did not have anything by the Weakerthans, but it should have. Here's a snatch from "The Reasons":

I know,
You might roll your eyes at this,
But I'm so
Glad that you exist.

Get on that shit. I'll post more in a bit; this thread needs more answers that aren't SLAYER.
posted by tapesonthefloor at 7:44 AM on May 5, 2009

"Summer Madness" - Kool and the Gang. Sexiest song ever, but no vocals so he can't be like "zomg say what!"

"It Might As Well Be Spring" - Astrud Gilberto. If you're feeling saucy, you could put "One Note Samba" (has the word "love" in it, but just barely) on instead--I like it more. "Agua de Beber" is a safe choice and sounds hipper. And there's always the more well-known "Corcovado" or "The Girl from Ipanema."

"Brazil" - Wire. Happiest happy-burst-of-love-song ever.

"Hanging on the Telephone" (The Nerves) - Blondie. Stalkerish/pathetic, but maybe he can see it's tongue in cheek and meant in good fun? Song is catchy, at least to me.

"I Was Watching Your Eyes" - Of Montreal, since you mentioned the song you did...the two have a very similar feel to me. Plus it has a great line: It's such a torturous thing/that I'm not excited by anyone.

"Beat it Down" - Y Pants. Got this feeling for you/Gonna beat it down, gonna beat it!...Even these .357 magnum bullets won't pierce it!! There's also "Love's a Disease" (Love's a disease/everyone needs) and "Magnetic Attraction."

"You Trip Me Up" - The Jesus and Mary Chain

"Give it Up or Turnit A Loose" and "Cold Sweat" - James Brown. I don't care about your thoughts/I just want to satisfy your pulse. Yow!

"You and I" - Silver Apples. It may be too naked lyrically though...dunno.

"Abstract Nympho" - Chrome. Now that you know I want you to be my dog/You're gonna be my dog!

"Crazy" (but oops, it has the l word in there) or "Volume" (to convey the crazy energetic feeling of having a crush, and indicate you wanna dance) - Pylon

"Sugarcube" - Yo La Tengo. And though I like to act the part of being tough/I crumble like a sugarcube/For you. Also their cover of "You Can Have it All" and the noisy version (I forget which album it's on; it's been ages since I listened to them sadly enough) of "Today is the Day."

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone has a crush-appropriate song, I'm sure...I feel like Figurine must too, but all of my favorites ("New Mate," "IMpossible," etc) are post-dating. Hrmm...

"Dance Song '97" and "Turn it On" - Sleater-Kinney

"Dangerous Match One" - Scientist. It has the word "love" in it a lot, but in a generalized sense! "How Deep" by Lee "Scratch" Perry is similar.

"Contort Yourself" - James Chance and the Contortions

"What Would the Community Think?" - Cat Power. You are so beautiful...all the things a mirror should say/On a very hot day.

"Dirty Disco" - Section 25. Way super sexed up, and the chorus is I want your heart, but it's so sleazy seeming maybe it doesn't matter.

"Thirteen" - Big Star

"I Will Dare" - The Replacements

"Stay in My Room" - The Coachmen

"Answer to Rainbow at Midnight" - His Name is Alive. It's no secret how I feel/You're the one I'd trade up for/I got a crunch on you.
posted by ifjuly at 11:57 AM on May 5, 2009

"Any Way That You Want Me" by Spiritualized.
posted by scrump at 1:40 PM on May 6, 2009

« Older What can be done with 6,000+ hard-copy books and a...   |   Unibody Mac - 15" - How well does it run other O/S... Newer »