What's the name of this Quebec food?

Help me ID this Quebec food.

I am working on a project about regional foods in Canada but need some help.

I am admittedly very ignorant of the food scene in Quebec, but growing up I seem to recall hearing about some sort of traditional Quebec meal that consisted of something like beans... and things, smothered in maple syrup.

Does this sound familiar? What is it called, exactly, and can you describe it in better detail? Also- is it actually popular?
posted by filibuster to Food & Drink (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

After a few seconds on Google, I found these recipes: Maple Baked Beans and Maple Beans from Quebec. The latter link has reviews and ratings that may help you. IANAQuebecer.
posted by Petrot at 3:31 PM on May 2, 2009

Fêves au lard (beans and bacon) is an old-timey traditional Quebec dish not seen on many menus these days. It is something you'll find at a cabane à sucre, a sugar shack, in springtime when people go to the country for group meals where old favourites are brought out and everything's served with a ton of maple syrup.

There's a bit of a move to update these traditional dishes, so you might look up "Au Pied de Cochon", a Montreal restaurant that offers a seasonal cabane à sucre with rich, updated versions of the traditional dishes.
posted by zadcat at 3:53 PM on May 2, 2009

A lot of greasy spoons in the more francophone neighbourhoods of Montreal serve fèves au lard with breakfast, and, as zadcat pointed out, you can find them at a cabane à sucre. They are still pretty popular.
posted by OLechat at 4:09 PM on May 2, 2009

I am a Quebecer, and I can tell you that I have some of that in my cupboard right now! Admittedly it's not the authentic stuff as it's in a can that I insist canadian relatives bring to me when they visit, but still... it's basically baked beans, but in a maple sauce. Specifically on the label it says
"Maple Style
Beans in Sauce
With pure Quebec Maple Syrup"

In French they're called "fèves façon érablière", and they are goddamn delicious.
posted by vodkaboots at 6:53 PM on May 2, 2009

Fèves au lard - cliché, but true, and delicious!
posted by kch at 7:34 PM on May 2, 2009

If you're looking around at recipes, keep in mind that all this talk of 'bacon' and 'pork fat' should actually refer to salt pork, not the smokey strip bacon. The 'lard' in fèves au lard comes from lard salé (salt pork), not from the brick of pork fat you'd find in the store beside the Crisco.
posted by CKmtl at 9:40 AM on May 3, 2009

Some cabane à sucre recipes incorporate maple syrup in them, but other than roast ham which uses maple water, all of dishes which use maple suryp are desserts such as tarte au syrop d'érable (maple pie), grands-pères au sirop d'érable (balls of dough poached in maple syrup), pouding chômeur au sirop d'érable (literally "unemployment pudding", a form of bread pudding) and the ubiquitous hot maple syrup poured on snow.

The majority of cabane à sucre fare does not incorporate maple syrup but is served with the intent of pouring maple syrup on top. These dishes include fèves au lard (baked beans, but molasses is used when cooking them), omelets, bacon, sausages, oreilles de crisse (literally "ears of Christ"; fried pork skins), potatoes, pea soup (yellow pea), tourtière (meat pie, there are several regional variations), home made bread and picklings.
posted by furtive at 8:53 AM on May 4, 2009

« Older Can a car be towed under abandoned car law if it's...   |   Wanted, bass player dead or alive Newer »