Recommend Mac OS X scanner software

What Mac OS X software will let me scan things using my second hand Canon ImageRunner C5800 networked printer/scanner? There's PC software available, but I'd rather not have to run XP just to scan things. Note: if I sound clueless I am; if I'm missing something obvious then please tell me.
posted by Joe in Australia to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

You need VueScan.
posted by stefnet at 4:52 AM on April 29, 2009

Response by poster: I looked at Vuescan - it doesn't seem to work with networked scanners.
posted by Joe in Australia at 5:40 AM on April 29, 2009

Try OS X's Image Capture app - under "Devices -> Browse Devices", can it find anything in "Network Device" or "Remote Image Capture Devices"?

If it can't auto-find it, it might help if you can find out the IP address & what port number the scanner works on.
posted by Pinback at 5:58 AM on April 29, 2009

Response by poster: It doesn't show anything under Devices -> Browse Devices. I know the IP address, but I don't know how to get to "Network Device" or "Remote Image Capture Devices"
to enter the information.
posted by Joe in Australia at 6:43 AM on April 29, 2009

I believe that Image Capture in 10.4 automatically lists categories of "Network Device" and "Remote Image Capture devices" in the Devices-> Browse Devices window, while the 10.5 version doesn't.

I'd expect that device to have an imbedded web server for management. You might find scanner controls that you can manage via a browser there.
posted by Steve3 at 7:05 AM on April 29, 2009

Seconding pingback:

"If it can't auto-find it, it might help if you can find out the IP address & what port number the scanner works on."
posted by mikewas at 3:29 PM on April 29, 2009

Best answer: If you're able to log into the WebUI, you can attempt to set up "scan to" locations and point it to a windows share (that you've given guest or password-protected user write-access to).

Once that is set up, you should be able to just scan from the front panel of the copier and it will drop the pdf/tiff into that folder.
posted by ijoyner at 6:47 PM on April 29, 2009

« Older Bake my duck   |   Ideas for a graduation gift for a psychology... Newer »