Are the small mirrors on the outside of apartment buildings in San Francisco always Feng Shui Bagua Mirrors?

From time to time I'll see small circular mirrors on the outsides of apartment buildings in San Francisco. Doing some web research I came across things called Feng Shui Bagua mirrors which look similar to some but not all of the mirrors I've encountered.

Are there any other purposes for small mirrors like that on the outside of buildings or are what we are seeing Banua mirrors?
posted by bottlebrushtree to Home & Garden (4 answers total)

Do you have any photos? What do the apartments face? - east, west, south? Do they face oncoming traffic? I think feng shui mirrors are a pretty good guess.
posted by jabberjaw at 9:41 AM on April 14, 2009

Are they convex mirrors? I've seen those -- small ones, a few inches across -- and presumed they were to let people see the front door of their buildings.
posted by The corpse in the library at 12:23 PM on April 14, 2009

It's usually so people getting in and out of the driveway can see traffic or pedestrians.
posted by chairface at 12:56 PM on April 14, 2009

2nding chairface, although it would be really cool if they koshur with feng shui rules.
posted by christhelongtimelurker at 4:11 PM on April 14, 2009

« Older Suggestions for an awesome summer roadtrip!   |   Is there any where I could get a top level domain... Newer »