What address to put on returns for filing taxes for two states?
April 7, 2009 6:01 PM   Subscribe

Last year I lived and worked in two different states (RI and CA) I worked two jobs in RI and then got another temp job in CA and moved out there in the fall. So I am using TaxCut to file my returns (yes I know its cutting it close) but I am confused when it asks for the "Employee's address" under the W-2 section; what do I put? Do I put my address where I used to live for those jobs back in RI or my current one in CA? I still consider myself a RI resident and will be moving out of CA in two weeks back to New England.
posted by Rustbeard to Work & Money (4 answers total)
They ask for the actual address of the place of employment. The company's address. It should be listed on your W2's.
posted by royalsong at 6:04 PM on April 7, 2009

Are you sure it doesn't say "employer's address"?

FWIW, I've had to file these multi-state returns many, many times and I've always found Turbotax to be the best at dealing with it (and by "best" I mean "gives me the biggest refund").
posted by lunasol at 10:25 PM on April 7, 2009

You may want to suck it up and go to a tax pro. 2 years ago we had a big move and a handful of w-2 forms, cashing out a 401, pretty big buys - Turbo tax said we owed 5K, HR Block brought that down to under 2K. It cost about $250 but it was better knowing it was done correctly and to not pay the extra 3K.
posted by doorsfan at 8:10 AM on April 8, 2009

It asks for both employers and employees address thats what is throwing me off. I shouldn't owe much money because I made so little last year.
posted by Rustbeard at 5:19 PM on April 8, 2009

« Older Will you please help me start shopping for a music...   |   I want .mp3s in my sidebar, not in my posts. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.