Firefox bookmarks issue

Anyone else have their Firefox bookmarks suddenly vanish? WTF?
posted by davebush to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Try searching around Bugzilla. I see some similar problems looking for "bookmarks deleted".
posted by smackfu at 8:51 PM on November 10, 2004

the little icons on my bookmark bar routinely disappear, then reload when i visit the page. weird.
posted by _sirmissalot_ at 9:13 PM on November 10, 2004

This use to happen to me all the time. I couldn't keep bookmarks for more than a couple of days. I went to the mozilla support boards and they were no help (the were swamped).

Since I've upgraded to a newer release I have not had any similar problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
posted by justgary at 9:20 PM on November 10, 2004

My girlfriend had the same problem. It was fixed by looking for an old profile under 'Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\might be a Firefox directory there\Profiles\some random directory name' and deleting the bookmarks.html file in there (on Windows XP).

I'd make that less confusing but I can't remember how the old profile directory structure went. Back up your real bookmarks file first just to be sure.
posted by Dipsomaniac at 9:46 PM on November 10, 2004

Yeah, I had similar probs when I upgraded to the last version. It's about profiles, to be sure.
posted by dash_slot- at 10:45 PM on November 10, 2004

I use Mozilla, not Firefox, and the links on my icon bar regularly disappear. I can solve the problem by going into the Bookmark Manager, and using the option "Set as Personal Toolbar Folder" on the View menu. Not sure why it happens, or if Firefox works the same way.
posted by fuzz at 6:53 AM on November 11, 2004

This happened to me and I restarted firefox from the command line with the -profilemanager flag. It had created a new default profile for some reason, and I went back to the old default profile which was listed as well. I don't know why it happened.

Here's the details for starting the profile manager (for Windows):

Start / Run...

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#profilemanager
posted by jacobsee at 8:54 AM on November 11, 2004

« Older Recommend some songs with dusky/dusty/scratchy...   |   If I see one mice or cockroach, how many DON'T I... Newer »