Automatically generate mix from folder of mp3s

Is there a program/script that will automatically create a beatmatched mix a from a folder filled with techno mp3s?

I have a bunch of techno tracks on my computer that I haven't listened to, and I was thinking it would be great to have some script or program that creates a 'preview mix' so I don't have to sit there fast-forwarding past the intro parts for each song.

There's this program 'musicmatch jukebox' that automatically beatmatches tunes into a mix, but you have to manually select each track, drop it in at the right place, configure the transitions, etc. Ditto with Reason. Anybody know how this could be done more automagically (i.e. computer picks the tracks and track order, either based on bpm or randomly or using some rule)
posted by jcruelty to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

On the Mac: Ask the DJ. It won't pick the tracks for you, but it will sort a bunch by BPM, play them back without intro/outro, do beat-matching and transitioning.
posted by adamrice at 1:05 PM on March 12, 2009

Previously. I was quite happy with it, but then, I was doing more down-beat stuff...

[ Reads further ]

I *think* the problem you want solved is the Travelling Salesman problem. You're probably going to have to do the sequencing yourself.
posted by baylink at 1:14 PM on March 12, 2009

Traktor probably does what you need.
posted by preparat at 2:12 PM on March 12, 2009

Traveling saiesman problem? That makes no sense. It just needs to provide a command line interface for doing what Musicmatch Jukebox and Reason already let me do -- select a bunch of tracks and then create a mix. The only difference between how I do it now and how I want to do is having the tracks selected automatically. I don't care about ordering.
posted by jcruelty at 11:06 PM on March 12, 2009

And sorry I realized I've been saying musicmatch jukebox when what I meant was "Mixmeister", doh
posted by jcruelty at 11:08 PM on March 12, 2009

« Older Treating Hard Water   |   Trying to end the affair. Newer »