Feed my need to learn about creating

Need some books on the process of creating works of art in different mediums

I've been reading a lot about the process of creativity lately (inspired by Merlin Mann over at 43 Folders and his recommendation of The Creative Habit).

I'm wondering if the good people of MeFi would be interested in sharing any good books (the best books, in your opinion) specifically about the process of creating in different mediums (as an aside, I've seen this link, but I think this question is a little different). By process, I mean the generation of concepts through to completion of the project. I would think that the idea part would probably be similiar across disciplines, but I'm interested to see if that's the case. Anyway, the disciplines can range from the stuff we typically think of as big-A "Art" (painting, sculpture, music, etc.) to processes that are usually considered more linear and "left-brained". I'd prefer it not be super technical, if it can be helped, but suggest what you must. I'd rather it be the best example of the process you know of than it be dumbed down enough for me to understand fully. Thanks!
posted by jasondbarr to Education (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Interesting question! I'll be anxious to see what gets posted.

I've seen these books regarded as the best resources for drawing, and indeed, they were what were assigned to us as textbooks in college:

The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study
by Kimon Nicolaides

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
by Betty Edwards
posted by bristolcat at 8:34 AM on March 11, 2009

I have also seen Andrew Loomis described as an authoritative author regarding illustration techniques. I don't know much about him, but you can actually download all of his books (now long out of print) here.
posted by bristolcat at 8:37 AM on March 11, 2009

These are all very good! They aren't directly what you're looking at as they span across different media, but I think they'll still be a help.

Non-Designers-Design-Book &
Universal-Principles-Design-William-Lidwell &
Little-Book-Creativity-Great-Ideas
posted by forrestal at 8:40 AM on March 11, 2009

Oh, and seconding Non-Designer's Design Book. Terrific stuff.
posted by Joe Beese at 9:53 AM on March 11, 2009

"The Return of the Real" by Hal Foster is on the big-A art-crit side of things.
posted by rhizome at 10:10 AM on March 11, 2009

I remember liking what I read of Robert Henri's The Art Spirit (Amazon has a "search inside"), as well as Bayles and Orland's Art & Fear.
posted by metabrilliant at 12:13 PM on March 11, 2009

« Older Does my perfect full screen text editor exist?   |   We plan on giving the candy to the kids on the way... Newer »