Obviously Deus Ex 2 and 3 are out...

What recent(ish) games offer a Deus Ex like experience?
posted by Artw to Computers & Internet (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

In terms of what?
posted by waraw at 6:00 PM on March 1, 2009

I guess Fallout 3 is similar in terms of genre cross-over, since it's an FPS/RPG hybrid, although it's more an RPG than Deus Ex (since you have quests, no linear route to follow, etc). Plot is completely different though.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 6:09 PM on March 1, 2009

Bioshock? I only played the demo (which did not electrify me), but based on that and what people say about it, it has some similarities to Deus Ex: basic gameplay is FPS; character-building resembles the augmentations in Deus Ex; plot and freedom of choice are supposed to be important. It is more combat-heavy than Deus Ex. It is also widely celebrated, and most commentators seem to believe it's a better game than Deus Ex. It made many game-of-the-year lists in 2007.

In addition, Warren Spector, a head guy behind Deus Ex, also worked on System Shock, the spiritual predecessor to Bioshock. However, Deus Ex self-consciously departs from the narrative style of the -Shock games (see discussion in this thread), emphasizing a broader range of characters and world-building materials -- a choice that really worked for me in Deus Ex (remember how JC could read NPCs' diary files? etc.).
posted by grobstein at 6:32 PM on March 1, 2009

If you want some "boy I'm clever!" moments, you might want to try a techno-stealth game like Splinter Cell or the sequels.
posted by cowbellemoo at 7:30 PM on March 1, 2009

Honestly, without specific requirements, it's difficult to say. Are you after a modern day/futuristic FPS with RPG elements? You could look at the three Shock games, Fallout 3, perhaps even something like STALKER (which I haven't played). Mass Effect is good if you can handle third person.

There are loads and loads of "classic" RPGs like the Elder Scrolls games, Arx Fatalis (spiritual successor to the Ultima Underworld games), or the later Might & Magic and Wizardry games.

But honestly there really hasn't been anything else like Deus Ex and with the way things are going, I don't predict that there will be.
posted by turgid dahlia at 9:17 PM on March 1, 2009

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is an FPS-RPG that has a lot in common with Deus Ex. Be warned that it is kinda buggy; you'll want to grab the unofficial patch, which fixes a whole lot of problems.
posted by The Pusher Robot at 12:28 AM on March 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Vampire: The Masquerade is a whole lot like Deus Ex.

I also highly recommend STALKER (not Clear Sky) and System Shock 2, if you didn't play it the first time around.
posted by dunkadunc at 2:32 AM on March 2, 2009

Project: Snowblind was meant to be DX2.5, but got changed after DX2 didn't sell so well. It's supposed to be quite similar, despite being basically a shooter.
posted by permafrost at 3:44 AM on March 2, 2009

BioShock
BioShock
BioShock
posted by mkultra at 5:37 AM on March 2, 2009

Yeah, Bioshock is the kind of thing I’m thinking of, though it’s still a lot closer to a traditional FPS than Deus Ex is.

I think one of the Deus Ex 3 designers put his finger on what makes Deus Ex special when he said that Deus Ex was more of a simulation than a game – the levels are nicely open ended and you wander around them finding your own way to do things, rather than what they were after which was a more traditional game where you get herded from set piece to set piece. Obviously I kind of disagree with the Deus Ex 3 designers on the desirability of that.
posted by Artw at 9:12 AM on March 2, 2009

Yeah, that's why something like Half-Life 2 -- another non-technical shooter lauded for its story(-telling) -- is completely different from Deus Ex and presumably not what you're looking for. Playing HL2 is like being a cow in a slaughterhouse designed by Temple Grandin: the game is trying to disguise the experience of being forced down a series of chutes toward a fate in which you have no real participation.
posted by grobstein at 9:39 AM on March 2, 2009

HL2 - Lovely but a different kind of thing.
posted by Artw at 10:08 AM on March 2, 2009

If you're leaning more toward the RPG end of things, then I strongly echo the recommendations for Fallout 3. I was a big fan of the first two, and very wary about the guys who made Oblivion taking over. But the end result is fantastic, way better than it has any right to be.
posted by mkultra at 10:10 AM on March 2, 2009

posted by mkultra at 1:10 PM on March 2 [+] [!]

As a hardcore fan of the first two games, I really tried to keep an open mind about the change of management but Fallout 3 is really boring.

I would definitely recommend it, not as a good game, but one that is quite similar to Deus Ex. A lot of people seem to enjoy it so what do I know.

If you do like Fallout 3, then you should play Oblivion. Same engine and everything.
posted by Ziggy Zaga at 4:03 PM on March 5, 2009

« Older Imbalanced running stride   |   I would like to follow in the loud footsteps of... Newer »