Any other High Speed Internet Providers in SF besides Comcast?
February 26, 2009 11:36 PM   Subscribe

Are there any reliable High Speed Connection Alternatives to Comcast in San Francisco?

Previously discussed here:
http://ask.metafilter.com/78073/Best-option-for-internet-provider-in-San-Francisco

Not sure if there are any new players in town. Mefi will know!
posted by crumblydonut to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Speakeasy. Rock solid, and when it does go down, real customer service folks, who know what they're talking about but don't treat you like an idiot, let you know when it's coming back.

It's pricey, though. But worth it if you're splitting with a couple folks.
posted by rkent at 12:08 AM on February 27, 2009

Is there a reason you don't mention DSL? I have the 'Elite' version which is rated at 6Mbps/768kbps, and a test just showed 5.2Mbps/580kbps, though others are also using this connection. I've been happy with them over the years. Had some ongoing connection problems for a while, but they sent out a guy who sorted them out. It costs $35 if you have a landline, or less for the lower-speed options, and a bit more if you have no landline. You can probably get some more discounts-- check here.

I think AT&T is rolling out some sort of fiber-or-something-based 'U-Verse' service here, but I'm not sure when that'll come.
posted by alexei at 12:22 AM on February 27, 2009

If you happen to live in one of the new condos or apartments in San Francisco, it may be wired by Web Pass in which case you can get 45mbps or 100mbps for $45/month or $400/yr, no contract. That's essentially a T3 line or better for about the same price as AT&T and Comcast. Reviews are great and there's no modem to deal with (direct Ethernet connection like in an office).
posted by junesix at 2:05 AM on February 27, 2009

Extremely jealous of people who have Web Pass.
posted by polexa at 4:56 AM on February 27, 2009

Sonic.net is a highly rated 'local' ISP. They've expanded to cover most of CA now.
Since you live in the city, you can probably get ADSL2.

They have great service and you always get a live person on the phone, no automated system stuff.
posted by whoda at 7:14 AM on February 27, 2009

Comcast is evil. I continue to love sonic.net and enthusiastically recommend them.
posted by Nelson at 7:34 AM on February 27, 2009

another vote for sonic.net. Really good customer service. Additionally they now have ADSL2+ broadband that they call "fusion". $45 a month for 6 mbps isn't bad.
posted by jabberwock at 9:01 AM on February 27, 2009

Sonic.net resells AT&T copper, but runs their own transit. They come highly rated.

Speakeasy resells Covad copper, also running their own transit. They also come highly rated.

Both will sell you an ADSL2 connection, which, in practice, can be provisioned to 15 Mb downstream, and 1.5-3 upstream. IIRC, either will set you back $100-$150 a month for that sort of speed.

AT&T
will sell you 6Mbps down/ 1.5 up for less than $50 a month. They've been promising uVerse in SF for a while now, but until they're done wiring the suburbs, you're not going to see it in the city proper.

All of them are better than Comcast.
posted by toxic at 9:27 AM on February 27, 2009

Response by poster: Awesome advice, gang. It'll be AT&T, sonic or speakeasy for sure.

Getting out of Comcast's cable grip too...going with Directtv.
posted by crumblydonut at 7:03 PM on February 27, 2009

« Older What's the name of short 1970's ballet film set to...   |   What's a CT scan like? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.