iPhone SDK: ApplicationVerificationFailed
February 25, 2009 4:55 PM   Subscribe

How do you get rid of the "ApplicationVerificationFailed" error when trying to test an application on the iPhone?

I am using Xcode 3.1.2 with the iPhone SDK 2.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6. I am trying to develop my first application for the iPod and iPhone. For testing, I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen with software version 2.2.1. I have also paid $99 USD for an iPhone single developer package with Apple.

When I'm trying to install an application for testing on my iPod using Xcode, I always get the following error message:


Your mobile device has encountered an unexpected error (0xE800003A)
ApplicationVerificationFailed


I do have all the necessary certificates installed in my Keychain and provisioning profiles installed on my iPod. The provisioning profile is for development (not deployment), and is correctly associated with my developer's certificate, application ID, and device (iPod) profile. For here, I'll say my App ID is "9876543210.*".

Here is what I tried so far:

- I restarted my iPod and Xcode several times already.
- I restored my iPod.
- For the application's "Target" listed in the Project's window (not the Organiser), I brought up its "Info" window and under the "Properties" tab, I tried the following "Identifiers": blank, 9876543210.${PRODUCT_NAME:identifier}, 9876543210.*, *, ${PRODUCT_NAME:identifier}.

Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
posted by remi to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
 
xcode is amazing, but it seems to lose it's mind with the certificates.

When these annoying errors pop up (and they do from time to time) here's a list of things to check:

* clean all targets before building
* view "build results" - one of the little icons will give you more info about the error
* open organizer and check that the certificate is installed in xcode and on your ipod (you may need to wipe out the directories with long hex names in ~/Library/Mobiledevices/ - apparently xcode sometimes caches the wrong one.

You'll get lots of info if you google the hex error code 0xE800003A - but I would recommend not using ${PRODUCT_NAME} and just enter the application name in the identifier field.

I found it annoying to create a different application certificate for each app, so I use a wildcard one:

com.mydomain.*

(I don't think just "*" will work. Is that what you did?)

So, if your project is called "go" then your product identifer is "com.mydomain.go". Don't type in the randomly generated part at the start.

Also - the docs on apples' site are slowly getting better. It's still insanely frustrating until you get it sorted out.
posted by kamelhoecker at 8:45 PM on February 25, 2009


I just got past this error tonight. After searching, I knew I had to use com.blahblahdomain.* (without the randomly generated number in front of it, and without the app name at the end) in the bundle identifier since that's how I created my certificate, but it still didn't work. As it turns out, cleaning all targets before building was the key. If you make that change to the bundle identifier after you've done builds (for the simulator or whatever), you need to do a clean build for it to work.

Here's the link that helped me.
posted by bwanabetty at 10:13 PM on February 25, 2009


Someone messaged me in private and also suggested I clean all targets, which I already did, but it didn't help. (Though it seems to help many!)

I got it to work yesterday evening. Strangely enough, when I was trying to compile a "demo" application, it wouldn't work. But at the moment I created my own app and tried to install it on my iPhone, it worked like a charm.

Strange...

Thanks for all the help! I'm sure someone else out there will run into the same problem.
posted by remi at 5:20 AM on February 26, 2009


« Older Suggestions for traveling cheaply, and (mostly)...   |   Tell me THE SECRET. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.