how do I file taxes in the UK?
February 24, 2009 4:09 AM   Subscribe

I lived in the UK in 2008, I need to file a tax return. please walk me through it.

cliff notes version: moved to london mid-2008 and stayed until late december. I did freelance work there. I am a EU citizen but until now have filed in the US. I don't know when, where and how to file a tax return in the UK and I am presently not there anymore but of course need to file if I want anything back.

anyone want to outline how to go about this for me?
posted by krautland to Work & Money (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
There's a pretty goof FAQ here.

If you spent less than 183 days in the UK during that tax year (and looking at your dates it may be a close thing), you probably won't need to pay any tax to the UK government.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 4:41 AM on February 24, 2009

Good, not goof. If it were goof I wouldn't have posted it.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 4:42 AM on February 24, 2009

I think I'm a bit above that. 200 days, something like that. in any case, I want to file because I expect to get something back. any ideas when the due date is?
posted by krautland at 8:05 AM on February 24, 2009

Who are you expecting to get something back from? If you were freelance (as in self-employed) then you haven't paid any tax.

If you were employed and your employer deducted tax from your wages (ie. PAYE) then you don't file a tax return you need to fill in Form P85 and send it to your 'local' (as in the tax office that dealt with your tax) tax office with parts 2 and 3 of your P45 (your employer should have given this to you when you left)
posted by missmagenta at 8:34 AM on February 24, 2009

I worked as a freelancer for many agencies billed through a PAYE Umbrella Company, so plenty of witholdings were made. given that I didn't earn a lot that year I am hoping to get as much as possible back.
posted by krautland at 10:53 AM on February 24, 2009

You need to fill in the P85 then, it says to send your P45 too but if you don't have one then send along your payslips.
posted by missmagenta at 11:07 AM on February 24, 2009

The UK Tax year runs 5th April - 4th April, so 2008-2009 is still "active". The closing date for you to file a paper return will be end of October (I think) and Electronically at the end of next January (again, I think).
posted by Nice Guy Mike at 3:58 PM on February 24, 2009

« Older Does anyone remember a toy, an "electronic set of...   |   You don't need to hear me gasping for breath. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.