what is the technical term for this type of effect?
February 4, 2009 7:42 PM   Subscribe

what is the technical term for this type of effect?

I'm trying to locate a blog entry that i saw some months ago which featured architectural/landscape elements in which the perceived image changed depending on the visual angle from which you looked at it.

The concept is basically using a prismatic surface and applying strips from various images to the surfaces facing different direction - like the cards you used to (maybe still do) get in cereal packets where the image changes as you move it relative to your view.

I can't recall the specific name for this effect. Any suggestions?
posted by beige to Media & Arts (4 answers total)
Lenticular printing is what does it, but I don't know what the effect is called.
posted by turgid dahlia at 7:45 PM on February 4, 2009

Best answer: Following on turgid dahlia, I've seen these referred to as "lenticular holograms" or (back in grade school when I was buying baseball cards) just "holograms". I'm not sure it's really accurate to describe it as holography per se, but that's one possibility.
posted by cortex at 8:20 PM on February 4, 2009

posted by rhizome at 8:32 PM on February 4, 2009

Best answer: If you mean this effect, it has been referred to as anamorphism: a distorted projection or perspective; especially an image distorted in such a way that it becomes visible only when viewed in a special manner.
posted by FreezBoy at 10:05 AM on February 5, 2009

« Older Unusual, exotic, interesting chewing gum?   |   Intellivision Sea Battle Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.