What's a good program for receiving/reading XML feeds?

XML/RSS: I'm completely ignorant here. What's a good program for receiving/reading XML feeds? (Not even sure that I want/need to do this, but I feel like trying it out. Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing.)

Google turned up a lot of stuff, but I have as much understanding of this stuff as my 80-year-old grandmother. XML.org was not kind to me either.
posted by MrAnonymous to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

On Windows XP I use SharpReader. It's easy to use and handles RSS (0.91,0.92 and 2.0) and Atom feelds and is quite quick.
posted by PenDevil at 12:26 AM on October 29, 2004

If you have a mac

News Fire

all you need
posted by derbs at 2:54 AM on October 29, 2004

Just use Bloglines-- it's easy to use, you don't have to install any software, and you can log in from any machine and still have your same setup.
posted by mcguirk at 5:17 AM on October 29, 2004

Thanks, I'll check them out.
posted by MrAnonymous at 5:44 AM on October 29, 2004

Forget that RSS is XML. It's not relevant to reading them and will just confuse your search.
posted by smackfu at 6:28 AM on October 29, 2004

I second the Bloglines tip. I've used the site for a while now and still love it.
posted by codger at 6:35 AM on October 29, 2004

I like Kinja.com, which is really easy, and if you use Firefox and go to an rss/atom enabled site, a small orange icon will show up on the bottom right of the window. Click on it and you can add the rss feed to your links bar as a "live bookmark". That's where I put the RSS feeds that I get that are actually sorta important, like workplace (a college) announcements.
posted by mecran01 at 7:00 AM on October 29, 2004

Bloglines, all the way.
posted by Caviar at 8:25 AM on October 29, 2004

Thanks. Yeah, I use FireFox and I see that RSS icon all the time. That's what got me curious.
posted by MrAnonymous at 10:50 AM on October 29, 2004

I am an avid fan of NetNewsWire Lite on OS X, and have also played around with web-based Rojo.com a bit [if people are looking for invites, drop me a line or IM from profile page].
posted by britain at 5:57 PM on October 30, 2004

« Older Personal experiences to share about the Peace...   |   Sound system for a small bar/restaurant/night club... Newer »