How much do I charge for redesigning a table-based site to full CSS and an integrated blog, with different navigation?

If someone were asking me to redesign a table-based small business site with full CSS and an integrated blog (visuals wouldn't change much, but navigation structure would be completely different), how much should I, hypothetically, charge?
posted by Tlogmer to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

It's a simple equation.

v = What you think your time is worth (in dollars per hour)
t = How much time you spend on the project
d = any deductions you want to make because of personal relationships with the client, etc
c = cost

c = (v * t) - d

easy.
posted by cheaily at 7:44 PM on October 27, 2004

Bill by the hour. Never bill by the job if you can possibly avoid it.

Other than that, there's no way to answer your question, without knowing your experience level, the size and savviness of the client, the size and complexity of the website, how fubared the current layout and html is, how easy or difficult you expect the working relationship to be, etc, etc, etc...

Similar or related AskMe questions that might be useful to you here, and here, and especially here. (I know there are others around here somewhere; the only reason I remember those three is that I posted responses in them.)
posted by ook at 8:35 PM on October 27, 2004

Hm. Alright, thanks.
posted by Tlogmer at 12:22 PM on October 28, 2004

If you do bill by the job, use cheaily's formula, but triple the number. Quadruple it if they specify what tools you're to use and you've never used them. Quintuple it if they specify what tools you're to use and it's Microsoft FrontPage.
posted by kindall at 12:29 PM on October 28, 2004

Creative Latitude: Resources: Downloads -- scroll down to Hourly Rate Calculator. Good stuff.
posted by Dreama at 6:57 PM on October 28, 2004

« Older uses for an unstable PC   |   How much of my car insurance payout should I spend... Newer »