Cool Toronto independent jewelery stores?

In the market for a non-traditional engagement ring from an independent local jeweler based in Toronto.

My SO and I are looking for a non-traditional engagement ring and have ruled out buying it online. So far we are looking at pink and yellow sapphire rings. I like art deco jewelery, or pieces that look vintage with a modern twist, and would like to support small independent local jewelers based out of Toronto.

So far my favorite place is Linda Penwarden. We have been and I'm in love with all of her jewelery, however my SO wants us to keep looking around to make sure we see everything before making the final decision.

Where are your favorite places, Mefites? Specifically ones similar to Linda Penwarden. NB: I have consulted this previous thread and this one.

I look forward to your responses!
posted by laroodles to Shopping (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Leif Benner in the Distillery district has some nice custom things. At least that's what my wife said, I don't have an eye for jewelry. He's also a pleasant, accessible and friendly person.
posted by kuujjuarapik at 8:29 AM on January 29, 2009

I see that he's in the other thread, too. I wanted to add that we were specifically looking for non-diamond rings as well, and he had very good options.
posted by kuujjuarapik at 8:34 AM on January 29, 2009

Distillery, obviously. There's also a neat place on Roncesvalles a bit south of Garden called Metal & Stone that has some very interesting pieces.
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 9:04 AM on January 29, 2009

Friends of mine had success with one of the designers at Made You Look. I believe Kim Drosdick was the specific designer they went with. But generally they are good people.
posted by machine at 10:05 AM on January 29, 2009

My super picky friend ended up going with Linda Penwarden. He's all kind of picky. I'm not sure you'll find a better place in the city. (She did our weddings rings, and my wifes engagement ring, also.)
posted by chunking express at 7:43 AM on January 30, 2009

Update: We ended up going with Leif Benner and could not be more thrilled with the result. He was absolutely fantastic to work with. Feel free to message me if you want to see a photo of the ring.
posted by laroodles at 2:34 PM on September 8, 2009

« Older What should my LED belt buckle say?   |   How to measure calories burned to heal from... Newer »