Surf in SB?

Where should I take a surf lesson in Santa Barbara, CA?

I'd like to take a lesson with 4 or 5 friends this weekend. Some of us have been on a board once or twice before, some haven't.

There are prior questions about learning to surf--- but they're either farther south or farther north. Anyone have suggestions for something near Santa Barbara?

Bonus points if the place is accessible by the public transit system, and of course less pricey is good. Personally I really need a somewhat structured experience.. the times I've tried before with friends who surf have been somewhat frustrating due to lack of structure.
posted by nat to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I would suggest Mondos. It's actually in Ventura, but it's not that far away, and it is definitely the best place to learn. There are a number of places that give lessons --here's one. If you go to Mondos, you want to go early, and during the week if you can. Don't forget to check out the surf forecast to figure out if it's worth getting out of your warm bed!
posted by Humanzee at 5:52 PM on January 21, 2009

Seconding Mondo's.
posted by k8t at 5:59 PM on January 21, 2009

Other local options include Santa Barbara Adventure Company (reputable company), and Santa Barbara Seals which is recommended by Surfline Surfology:
posted by terranova at 7:13 PM on January 21, 2009

« Older Bassy rap music plz   |   Bike numbers: Newer »