Buenos Aires? Yes? No?

How should I go about teaching English in Latin America, specifically in Buenos Aires?

First of all, I realize other posts have dealt with this to a certain extent, but it would be great to have some good, up to date information. Some of the information I have come across is from a few years ago. I want to know...

1) Where I can find good, up-to-date information regarding teaching English in Buenos Aires? Something like this article from Transitions Abroad would be helpful, but from 2008/2009. I'm aware of Dave's ESL cafe, but I'd like something a little more exhaustive. Why do I want more info? Well...

2) I know that Argentina has been on shaky legs economically in the recent past, and the current economic crisis hasn't helped. Are any of you living and or teaching in Argentina now? Are these jobs scarce, or is there always a market for it?

3) If there are jobs, how do I go about doing it? Should I just dive into it, take a course there, and hand out as many resumes as possible? Is certification necessary?

4) Finally, is Buenos Aires a good place to live and work?

As always, thanks in advance.
posted by Lemon of Byzantium to Work & Money (1 answer total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Living in BsAs gets immensely frustrating sometimes, but I wouldn't trade my three years there for anything. I hate to be that guy, but you may wish to check out my former blog for my experiences on living there. The posts from January 2007 through March 2008 are about Argentina (mostly Buenos Aires).

You can check out BA Newcomers, too. Read the archives.

Also read this blog: line of sight. No longer updating, but fantastic.

It has been two or three years since my experience of teaching English there, so I'll leave that up to someone else.
posted by veggieboy at 6:15 PM on January 14, 2009

« Older Presque Isle Vacation Rentals!   |   script dictionary Newer »