mp3 Player Podcast Auto-Updating

(PC) podcast setups for a non-iPod mp3 player?

My dad just got my mom an inexpensive [off-brand] 2 GB mp3 player for listening to podcasts, assuming that she'd be able to update it with iTunes as he does with his iPod. Since this isn't an option, what is the easiest way to download podcasts automatically and update as painlessly as possible? This is for a PC.

It looks like iPodder (which I used in pre-iTunes podcast support days) is now Juice, which will probably work just fine. But what is the easiest way to update the mp3 player? Ideally, my mom could plug her mp3 player into the USB port and it would automatically update her podcasts, just as iTunes does.

Other info: this will mostly be used for podcasts, but I think that she may want to put some regular mp3s on as well. My dad is pretty computer-savvy but mom my is a little more easily intimidated by something that doesn't just work right away.
posted by rossination to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Ideally, my mom could plug her mp3 player into the USB port and it would automatically update her podcasts, just as iTunes does.

Well, you have the first half right--she should plug the mp3 player into the USB port and then (if you use windows) use windows explorer to drag and drop .mp3 files right on to the player. Most off-brand mp3 players function as USB drives. You sometimes can use software to update them, but it's really not necessary. Generally, she should check whatever literature came with the mp3 player to be sure.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi at 5:14 PM on January 1, 2009

You also might try this software if the mp3 player is supported.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi at 5:16 PM on January 1, 2009

MediaMonkey is about my favorite non-iTunes music manager, and it also contains podcast support.
posted by jferg at 8:31 PM on January 1, 2009

« Older Is a higher HDTV contrast ratio actually...   |   Charities - check or credit card? Newer »