How to get started with multiple itunes libraries?

I have about 15,000 songs and am considering using two libraries because I only actively listen to about 1/3 of my collection. What's the best way to get started?

As far as I can tell so far, there are two options:

- Setup and manage using itunes only, or
- Use itunes library manager from Doug's Applescripts

In making the choice, I would like to be able to do the following:

- Easily move music from one library to another
- Easily backup one library to an external hard drive periodically
- Someday move one library to an external hard drive

Can anyone share their experiences or advice? I'm on a macbook using Leopard.
posted by rglass to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Using third-party software (which is an option in the first, and if you consider the Applescript an app is the second method as well) is really unnecessary.

Apple's option, built straight in to iTunes, which is mentioned in the first link you give, works fine.

Both Libra and Doug's Applescripts do exactly what holding the option key starting iTunes does. Doug's script adds the copying of the preference file, but that won't help you in backing up and moving to another drive.

None of these options allow you to easily move music from one library to another; all they do is tell iTunes where to look for the library database. You can always copy from one to another, but that has nothing to do with anything here: simply use whatever method you usually use to add music, and browse wherever the music is stored on the hard drive.

I would recommend turning off all options in preferences that relate to iTunes handling the organization of your music files. While OS X is usually pretty good at tracking files (i.e., if you move an mp3, change its name, etc, it will still find it next time you hit play in iTunes,) it might occasionally lose a file, and that's no fun.
posted by mhz at 9:27 AM on December 25, 2008

MHz mentioned Libra in passing; I've been using that particular option for several years with great success. No muss, no fuss.
posted by DandyRandy at 12:28 PM on December 25, 2008

« Older How does one know that they've found the right...   |   Discount Lift Tickets - Crested Butte Newer »