Help me lawyer up...
December 17, 2008 4:32 PM   Subscribe

I need to find a lawyer in the NYC area who deals with confidentiality agreements and stock option contracts, specifically in the software industry. How would I go about finding such a lawyer?

I don't have a ton of money, so I'd rather keep costs low if possible.

If you'd like to respond by email, you can contact me at
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (3 answers total)
I don't think there's any such thing as a cheap IP lawyer.

Lowenstein* has an entire technology practice with a specific IP department within it, but this is pretty workaday stuff; I can't imagine you'd have a hard time finding someone through personal referral.

*Disclosure: my dad is a partner there, but in a different area.
posted by DarlingBri at 6:53 PM on December 17, 2008

The Brooklyn Law School Incubator and Policy Clinic might be able to help you. It's fairly new, so there's no website for it available yet, but it does in fact exist.

Work will be done for free by law students under the supervision of Prof. Askin (you can get his info from the link above).

I'll be starting with that clinic in about a month when the law school comes back in session from winter break. Depending on what exactly you need, I might be able to help you personally. Send me a PM if you want.
posted by Grimp0teuthis at 8:04 PM on December 17, 2008

In the current regulatory environment, things could change fast and options as compensation might be important. There are significant restrictions to the exercise of stock sales by persons at the higher levels of corporate management. These regulations could apply to you. I'd shop around. Go to a lawyer you know and ask them to get you a referral with a top-level firm and a mid-sized one. See what they tell you.

Getting things lined up right at the start is a really important thing for these issues, otherwise, if they pop up again at a time when cash flow is low, you could get in a jam.

Although I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advice, just a recommendation to obtain good legal counsel.
posted by Ironmouth at 9:14 PM on December 17, 2008

« Older Can one order up a miracle?   |   Part-time PhD, full-time work: is this a bad... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.