Comcast, from the gates of hell I spit at thee!

DSL in Minneapolis. Recommendations, experiences, ISPs of note.

Comcast is awful. I get horrible digital service and the speed is nothing impressive. I am probably going to go satellite for cable but I need internet service that is fast, reliable and not too expensive. I have a wireless network in the house and use Apple TV. I do a lot of work online so lots of uploading and downloading.
posted by jadepearl to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Check out DSL Reports
posted by ezekieldas at 1:06 PM on December 17, 2008

Have you considered using the Minneapolis WiFi network? It's prety decently priced if you get a good signal where you're at.

USI Wireless is the provider. Here's more info.
posted by xotis at 2:56 PM on December 17, 2008

Minneapolis Wifi is not working in my area.
posted by jadepearl at 3:10 PM on December 17, 2008

We had Qwest DSL for years but it kept going down so often that we had to drop it. We now have Comcast which is a huge improvement but no where as fast as they claim.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 4:15 PM on December 17, 2008

I've heard that Speakeasy is a high-end and not-evil internet provider. DSL starts at $50 a month. They were bought by Best Buy last year, so I guess they're local to Minneapolis now.
posted by Sfving at 10:52 PM on December 17, 2008

Has anyone tried satellite for internet in Minneapolis?
posted by jadepearl at 6:18 AM on December 18, 2008

Full Disclosure - I work for AT&T but don't get any discount on my bill.

I have AT&T DSL at my NE apartment, and I also have AT&T as a local carrier. But, I am pretty sure you don't have to have them for local to use them for DSL. My bundled bill is ~$80 per month, and I haven't had any problems that were their fault (my router is the problem).

I had Qwest DSL back in '01 and they messed up my bill so much that I refused to use them for anything again.
posted by soelo at 12:06 PM on December 18, 2008

« Older Eco-Friendly sites for Kids?   |   How to export text from Flash? Newer »