What kind of sport involves roller shoes ridden like a longboard?
December 14, 2008 10:04 AM   Subscribe

It's sport identification time, hive mind. There's a kid I see around campus who travels using... well, they're sort of like roller skates. Except where roller skates' wheels are fixed and point forward, these are pivoting and are ridden sideways, as if you're riding a longboard without the board.

He seems to basically just 'surf', leaning into curves, etc. It's quite amazing to watch, but I can't find any information about this sport/mode of conveyance.
posted by optimuscrime to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Maybe these?
posted by sonic meat machine at 10:18 AM on December 14, 2008 [1 favorite]

I believe you're seeing the ripstik.
posted by quickasfoxes at 10:22 AM on December 14, 2008

Response by poster: Freeline skates! That's exactly what they are! Amazing. You're fast, hive mind. Thanks :)
posted by optimuscrime at 10:24 AM on December 14, 2008

Ironically, there's a kid on my college campus who uses the same things. He's very unstable though, and people often have to dive out of the way to avoid him. It's quite humorous.
posted by DMan at 12:17 PM on December 14, 2008 [1 favorite]

« Older Bond angles   |   The New York Times on Sunday, maybe? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.