How can I tile windows in OS X
December 12, 2008 12:42 PM   Subscribe

How can I easily tile my windows in OS X like I do in MS Windows?

I want to easily and quickly tile my windows in OS X (especially word documents so I can read them side by side) like I do in MS Windows. In Windows, I use Winsplit Revolution and right clicking on the taskbar and hitting 'tile vertically'. Is there any way to do this?
posted by creeront to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Enable Expose (System Preferences->Desktop and Screen Saver.) There's a way to tile only the windows in the active program, as well as all open program windows.
posted by InsanePenguin at 1:55 PM on December 12, 2008

That's not the tiling the OP is asking about. In Windows "tiling vertically" means "line these windows up next to each other with equal sizes so I can see them both". I can't think of any way to accomplish this in OS X off the top of my head. I think there is a third-party app that emulates this, but the name escapes me at the moment.
posted by phrayzee at 3:20 PM on December 12, 2008

You can do it with this AppleScript.
posted by bcwinters at 3:26 PM on December 12, 2008

Finder Window Manager
posted by dpcoffin at 4:10 PM on December 12, 2008 [1 favorite]

Finder Window Manager only works with the Finder. AppleScript is the only way to accomplish this (yes, it's a poor method). There are some tools, like Afloat and MercuryMover, which aim to be general purpose window managers; you may want to ask these program authors for a feature that does what you want - OS X shareware developers writ large tend to be pretty responsive.
posted by arimathea at 7:45 AM on December 13, 2008

Oops, should have groked the truth about FWM from its name. I tend to give software I don't have features it doesn't haveā€¦ Sorry!
posted by dpcoffin at 8:46 AM on December 13, 2008

posted by wawawawa at 5:58 AM on November 19, 2009 [1 favorite]

« Older HolidayFilter: Help us top our tree!   |   What's the name of this magazine for children? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.