How might I set up creative workshops for community groups?

I’m interested in setting up creative writing groups for marginalised members of my community at my local library on a volunteer basis.

However, despite that I believe I have the skills to run them based on my knowledge of storytelling, (corporate) creative facilitation, and work at a crisis hotline, I have no idea how to get the ball rolling.

As well as providing ongoing creative writing workshops with guest lecturers, I’d like to create a website to showcase/promote people’s work, secure corporate sponsorship for an anthology where all profits would go to services to help the community members, and set up spoken word performances/poetry slams at a local venue.

Do I approach my local library with a business proposal outlining how I intend to do this? Or would I be better off approaching my local council and individual community groups instead? How would I seek corporate sponsorship in terms of printing? And can you point me in the direction of similar projects for inspiration, as well as suitable document guidelines or templates?
posted by elke to Society & Culture (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I suggest you call the good people at Art Enables. I sat on their board for a long time and they are a model program for serving the arts-talented mentally and developmentally disabled community. My very close friend Stefan is their Art Director. The Program Director is Joyce Muis-Lowery.
posted by Ironmouth at 11:06 PM on November 29, 2008

« Older Help me tone my flabby body.   |   Firefox and Spotlight on the Mac Newer »