furniture thrift in Durham, NC

What are the best places to buy interesting and inexpensive used furniture in Durham, NC? Things like dressers, tables, upholstered chairs.
posted by jenbird to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Drive down to Raleigh and hit up Father and Sons (http://www.swankarama.com/)
posted by bobot at 8:35 AM on November 26, 2008

- place downtown Durham called Southern Portico with cool stuff
- there's a place right next to Caffe Driade with vintage furniture - sometimes more expensive but great accessories
- Father and Sons
- the goodwill and other thrift stores here have some surprisingly good stuff - especially if you're willing to do a little bit of work (sanding or repairing knobs)
- craigslist - search for mid-century or modern or vintage and there is actually not that much competition down here
posted by barnone at 11:49 AM on November 26, 2008

- Everything but... Grannie's Panties - that whole strip of road has several thrift furniture places. Check both sides of Guess in that one block
posted by barnone at 11:50 AM on November 26, 2008

I've never been there, but people I know have found interesting things at the Habitat store.
posted by pinky at 4:01 PM on November 26, 2008

Also check out Surplus Sid's in Carrboro. Most everything in there is some crap, but I have gotten some good deals from there, and if there's something you really want, and you chat up Sid a bit, he might build it for you. If there's nothing you want the first time you go, go again the next month and there'll be entirely different stuff.
posted by greta simone at 7:10 PM on November 26, 2008

« Older Panini Help   |   Help me find an electric Moroccan lantern! Newer »