How to avoid a bad reputation

From a previous interview, I have the contact info of a company recruiter. A new job in the same company has come up and I was wondering if it is appropriate for me to get in touch with that recruiter directly or if I should just go through the usual process.

When I applied for a job last time with this company, I went through so many rounds of phone and in-person interviews that I struck up a friendly relationship with one of the company's recruiters. While the company decided not to put anyone in that position at this time, I saw another position listed on their website that I'd be a good fit for.

Is it considered rude to send an unsolicited email to the recruiter saying that I had interest in the newly posted job? It'd be a cool company to work for and I definitely don't want to get a reputation for being a pest.

This is in the web industry in San Francisco if that makes any difference.
posted by jaybeans to Work & Money (8 answers total)

My understanding is that recruiters love it when you bring a job to them that you're interested in. Makes for much less work on their part, but they still get a commission.
posted by otherwordlyglow at 12:07 PM on November 25, 2008

Absolutely not rude. A single email does not make you a pest. Send the email. However, be aware just that because you think you have a "friendly relationship" with the recruiter doesn't mean he/she thinks the same. One of the jobs of a recruiter is to be "friendly" to give a good face to the company.
posted by ShooBoo at 12:08 PM on November 25, 2008

Absolutely contact the recruiter directly.

If I was you, I would phase the email slightly more informal than an "unsolicited email". That is, I would write the email more as "friendly" than that an impersonal formal email.
posted by Spurious at 12:13 PM on November 25, 2008

Some hiring managers hate recruiters. Remember that going through a recruiter adds a significant percentage to your cost. Given two good hires, one through a recruiter and one via resume, the recruiter candidate will cost 115% of the resume candidate during the first year due to recruiter fees. Rarely will this make a difference, but it depends on the company.
posted by benzenedream at 12:28 PM on November 25, 2008

Response by poster: Just to clarify, the recruiter works in-house and is only part of their hiring process and not an outside independent recruiter.
posted by jaybeans at 12:50 PM on November 25, 2008

OP said it's a "company recruiter" - which makes me think it's not a third-party recruiting agency, but rather an internal person. So we're not talking commission, and there's no direct-hire vs. recruited dilemma.

I would also say to contact the recruiter directly. If I were the recruiter trying to fill a position, I'd rather start with people I was familiar with; if they already decided you were good enough to get an interview the first time around, then you'd be a safe bet to interview for this new position as well.
posted by relucent at 12:56 PM on November 25, 2008 [1 favorite]

I would contact that recruiter, but try to make it clear that you would like to hear back from them in X amount of time. You don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone on the inside, and you don't want to sit around while the recruiter - who may have nothing to do with the position - is meaning to get around to thinking about doing something.

Good luck.
posted by Lesser Shrew at 12:58 PM on November 25, 2008

Best answer: looks like jaybeans beat me to the clarification. I would also add (so this post isn't just taking up space!) that one email isn't going to be enough for someone to consider you a pest, especially if you're friendly.

Also, I may be going out on a limb here, but if you're a good communicator then you may even consider calling. It could be a chance to make a really good impression, especially if he remembers you. Same reasons as above: you're a safe bet since you've already interviewed before, and so it makes his job easier.
posted by relucent at 1:04 PM on November 25, 2008

« Older How do I use the slide rule on my Casio watch?   |   Cogito, ergo I Long to Learn Latin. Newer »