Who did this political cartoon?

Looking for a political cartoon in which a gay Republican is asked about how he arrived at his political identity, and he eventually answers, "I'm in a high tax bracket." I remember it as a Tom Tomorrow or possibly Ted Rall cartoon from the late '90s or early '00s, but so far I've had no luck in Googling for it.
posted by backtotherain to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

This it?
[first page of Google images search for "gay Republican cartoon"]
posted by blueberry at 11:40 PM on November 23, 2008

Hm. If the exact punchline was "I'm in a high tax bracket." then that sounds like a Doonesbury flourish to me, and blueberry's is not the right one.

That said, I have no clue how to search old comic strips by word. This is a need that the web has not yet filled!
posted by rokusan at 3:59 AM on November 24, 2008

I remember a Tom Tomorrow strip which that exact line was the punchline. The penguin (forgot his name) was talking to the gay republican. I'm pretty sure this was the late 90's. Sorry I don't have more details.
posted by Dr-Baa at 9:30 AM on November 24, 2008

Thanks for corroborating my memory, Dr-Baa; I made a more thorough search of the This Modern World archives and found it. Here's the strip:

http://archive.salon.com/comics/tomo/1999/06/14/tomo/index.html

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and tips!
posted by backtotherain at 10:37 AM on November 24, 2008

« Older What sites offer useful iPhone App listings &...   |   Have you seen this obscure SF collection? Newer »