Doth my eyes deceive me? Or was is it Spielberg?

Wasn't Steven Spielberg playing one of the medics at the end of E.T.?

There is a medic with no speaking part at the end of E.T. when Elliot and E.T are hooked up to the machines. He has a thick beard and wears glasses. It looks exactly like Spielberg (who yes, of course I understand he directed the film), but I can't find him listed in the credits as one of the medics. I tried looking at IMDB, and online crediting Spielberg as a medic with no avail.

Am I nuts or is it really him?
posted by wocka wocka wocka to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I have never seen E.T., but I highly doubt it. First of all, if he was in the film, he would at least be in IMDB. In fact, I can't find any evidence of Spielberg making cameo appearances in any of his own films. He just doesn't seem like that kind of director.
posted by joshrholloway at 10:31 AM on November 23, 2008

I spent a great deal of time working on a "The Making Of E.T." documentary. I was able to see Spielberg's full interviews and all the behind-the-scenes footage. During his interviews he reveals that the writer, Melissa Mathison, made a cameo as a nurse in the movie, but the scene was removed from the final cut of the film. Ditto for a cameo by Harrison Ford as Elliott's school principal, also cut from the film. Never once in all of his commentary, interviews, etc. did he mention that he was ever in the film himself. So if that was him, he's keeping it a secret.
posted by Spyder's Game at 10:35 AM on November 23, 2008 [1 favorite]

He just doesn't seem like that kind of director.

I bow to Spyder's Game's expertise, but want to point out that he's made cameos in other people's movies, notably The Blues Brothers and apparently Vanilla Sky.
posted by CunningLinguist at 10:54 AM on November 23, 2008

Spielberg's made tiny, uncredited cameos in his own movies before--at the end of The Lost World, you can see him in the reflection of a television, sitting on a couch with the characters.
posted by EarBucket at 1:08 PM on November 23, 2008

He also makes a cameo in Into the Night
posted by filmgeek at 1:40 PM on November 23, 2008

My uncle was an actor in this movie, I shot him an email and I'll let you know if he has any more definitive information.
posted by jessamyn at 4:33 PM on November 23, 2008

"My uncle was an actor in this movie, I shot him an email and I'll let you know if he has any more definitive information."

Wow... I know the Production Designer from ET (Jim Bissell, who worked with the kid on 300), which makes me only two people removed from jessamyn... small world! :)

/end derail
posted by HuronBob at 5:43 PM on November 23, 2008

Uncle Pete says: "If he did, I've never seen it. Then again, I've only seen the film three times. Sorry I can't be definitive."
posted by jessamyn at 7:16 AM on November 24, 2008

wow - thanks Jessamyn and Uncle Pete!

I will have to admit defeat on this issue with my friends. Oh well.
posted by wocka wocka wocka at 7:29 AM on November 24, 2008

« Older Where does mac store thumbnails of photos and...   |   Lake sailing near San Diego? Newer »