This accent sounds so familiar...
November 21, 2008 2:48 PM   Subscribe

Who is Sir David Frost reminding me of? His accent is distinct, and his voice sounds like.....SOMEONE. Who?

I watched his interview the other day on the daily show. Watch it here.

Listen especially to the way he pronounces the word "around." Who does this remind you of? An actor? Politician? This is driving me crazy. Wikipedia's list of famous people from Kent isn't ringing any bells.
posted by soonertbone to Grab Bag (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Winston Churchill?
posted by marsha56 at 3:48 PM on November 21, 2008

He reminds me of an English actor (the name escapes me) who has often played a judge in movies...arg. Brunette...older man...

Also Richard Griffiths perhaps?
posted by eralclare at 4:00 PM on November 21, 2008

For some reason I think he sounds like Michael Caine.
posted by Foam Pants at 4:09 PM on November 21, 2008

A posher Timothy Spall?
posted by fire&wings at 4:14 PM on November 21, 2008 [1 favorite]

He was a popular enough personality on British TV during the 1960s and 1970s that I'm sure impersonations of David Frost turned up on Monty Python (especially as he was a part of the same Oxbridge Mafia as they were) in the same manner as Alan Whicker was parodied in Whicker Island. I'm sure at least one Eric Idle chat show host character was a parody of Frost. Perhaps he's reminding you of himself, twice removed.
posted by Grangousier at 4:19 PM on November 21, 2008 [1 favorite]

Michael Gambon?
posted by teg at 4:32 PM on November 21, 2008

Oh, I like F&W's suggestion of Tim Spall. There's more than a passing similarity there. As a test, try out Stephen Poliakoff's Shooting the Past as a comparison. That way you get to test your theory and get to watch some sublime British drama at the same time.
posted by urbanwhaleshark at 4:49 PM on November 21, 2008

Seconding Alan Whicker... but also consider that David Frost has been ever-present on (British, at least) TV for the last 40-50 years, so he may just be reminding you of himself...?
posted by saintsguy at 5:57 PM on November 21, 2008

Eric Idle and David Frost sound exactly alike.
posted by Zambrano at 7:35 PM on November 21, 2008

I think eralclare is thinking of Patrick McGoohan.
posted by Yorrick at 7:58 PM on November 21, 2008

Alan Whicker...

...who was impersonated by multiple Pythons in one episode?

(Sample)
posted by genghis at 8:06 PM on November 21, 2008

Damnit, just assume that whole comment is Grangousier's but annotated, can you?
posted by genghis at 8:08 PM on November 21, 2008

I'm gonna go with the great naturalist David Attenborough.
posted by wsg at 12:08 AM on November 22, 2008

I think whether you see a resemblance is distinctly different if you are British or American
posted by A189Nut at 9:11 AM on November 22, 2008

People sound like David Frost, not the other way around.
posted by vbfg at 5:15 AM on November 23, 2008

« Older Online Bug Tracking for web apps?   |   Winter weekend cabin near Chicago? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.