I have a lot of magazines and not a lot of space

What to do with about a billion old magazines?

I have a lot of old magazines. What should I do with them? I am leaning towards crafts or using them (or parts of them) to add visual appeal to my landlord-beige apartment.

They're not old enough to be interesting for being old.

I have to do something before my partner recycles them.
posted by sondrialiac to Grab Bag (21 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I leave old magazines near the mailboxes in my building and the other residents take them all within a couple days.
posted by girlmightlive at 12:58 PM on October 31, 2008

Ohh.. lots of good stuff:

Bowls
Nesting Dolls
Jewelry
Envelopes
Handbags

And of course using them in collages.
posted by Ugh at 1:02 PM on October 31, 2008

Save a few that are really old and leave them in random waiting rooms... Just to leave the impression that some doctor's office really did keep a copy of "Discover" magazine sitting there for 12 years.
posted by BobbyVan at 1:04 PM on October 31, 2008 [2 favorites]

Leave them at a gym.
posted by jenfullmoon at 1:09 PM on October 31, 2008

Ugh, any idea where I would find directions/tutorials for any of those things?
posted by sondrialiac at 1:09 PM on October 31, 2008

You could create ransom notes for some of your partner's stuff. That might stop him/her from throwing out your magazines.
posted by reenum at 1:15 PM on October 31, 2008

Keep a stack of 'em on top of your toilet tank, to distract guests from looking in the medicine cabinet.
posted by box at 1:17 PM on October 31, 2008

Craftzine is a great place to start:

Here, here, and here are some great articles. Also, on Etsy go to the Techniques and Materials section of the forum. Always lots of great people to help you figure out how to make things or point you to an online tutorial.
posted by Ugh at 1:17 PM on October 31, 2008

If the crafting endeavors fall through, give them to after school programs or elementary schools/art teachers. Things to cut up and turn into collages are always welcome.
posted by phunniemee at 1:21 PM on October 31, 2008

Oooh, I really like this mobile too. It's sure to brighten up a dreary apartment.
posted by Ugh at 1:21 PM on October 31, 2008

When I moved, I freecycled magazines, and they were generally very popular.
posted by theora55 at 1:27 PM on October 31, 2008

If they aren't too old, please donate them to the nearest Veteran's Association clinic or hospital. They have no budget for waiting room magazines. Our nation's veterans sit and look at pharmacy sales materials while they wait for care.

For MeFites looking for a cheap and worthwhile holiday donation, this is an awesome cause. Send a magazine subscription to a VA waiting room!
posted by toastedbeagle at 1:34 PM on October 31, 2008 [2 favorites]

seconding giving them to art teachers. Those are usually picked over quickly for collage projects. I'm not sure if collage is very popular these days though.
posted by Bunglegirl at 1:42 PM on October 31, 2008

i go through the old magazines, cut out anything i want to make collages from later, clippings go in a metal box - magazines get trashed. then when i want to collage i have a huge stack of stuff to go through.
posted by nadawi at 1:45 PM on October 31, 2008

Freecycle seconded.
posted by inigo2 at 1:51 PM on October 31, 2008

My local library accepts old magazines. They leave them up front for patrons to paw through. I like knowing they're not just being thrown out and wasted.
posted by HeyAllie at 2:18 PM on October 31, 2008 [1 favorite]

My grade school and high school libraries had (poor) magazine sections. I like to think schools get free subscriptions, but I don't know that. Phone the nearest ones and ask if they'd like them?

(Maybe hold back the Hustler's Hottest Honeys issues, though.)
posted by rokusan at 3:12 PM on October 31, 2008

take colorful pages and paper shred 'em. then glue the strips onto your walls, either in an orderly floor-to-ceiling-vertical-bars fashion, or in random patterns.

it's a bit painstaking, but looks pretty awesome when you're finished.
posted by thatelsagirl at 6:15 PM on October 31, 2008 [1 favorite]

Make some paper beads. You won't use up a lot of magazines, though.
posted by found dog one eye at 7:32 PM on October 31, 2008

I drop current-ish ones off at a local laundromat. they disappear, plus I have seen people reading them.
posted by KenManiac at 10:24 PM on October 31, 2008

Jesus get rid of them before they become a nuisance. My mom has piles and piles of New Yorkers and The Nations around. It's awful. Piles of them always falling on things. It's a really bad habit. Now with me, I have the New Yorker the week it comes out, and when the next one comes, I put the old one in the recycling, whether I've read it or not. Sorry this one drives me crazy. Look at the magazines and ask yourself if they are helping you or hurting you.

I'm suspicious of freecycle sometimes because I think it's other horders looking for things to hoard. I don't want to help them. Recycling them into paper pulp sounds like a good plan to me.
posted by sully75 at 11:39 AM on November 1, 2008

« Older What content is good enough to pay for?   |   Identify This Essay... Newer »