help me find a piece of classical music

I am looking for a piece of classical music that was featured as a teaching tool on a computer program about 15 or 20 years ago.

It was written by an Englishman, I think sometime between 1900 and 1950. It was based on an English hymn or a piece of folk music. It was intended to serve as a piece to educate kids about classical music and the components of a classical composition. I encountered it as a program that came on a CD. It played the music as it explained what was going on in the orchestra/music with a written narrative. There were other educational parts to this whole program but I remember listening to the entire piece of music the most. I know this may not be much to go on but I have been longing to hear this music again as I really liked it.
posted by Foam Pants to Media & Arts (3 answers total)

Best answer: Was it Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra?
posted by letourneau at 12:08 PM on October 21, 2008

Searching based on letourneau's suggestion, I think the CD-ROM was The Orchestra: The Instruments Revealed (CD-ROM, Burbank: Warner New Media, 1991) which used Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

I found a few hits for it in university libraries, so perhaps you could inter-library loan it to find out exactly which orchestral recording of that piece they used.
posted by D.C. at 7:10 PM on October 21, 2008

Response by poster: Hell ya! You people are GENIUSES.
posted by Foam Pants at 11:31 PM on October 21, 2008

« Older I need a sexy plus sized costume!   |   Rugged travel/storage case for hard drive Newer »