Help me sway her vote!

What is the best website you've seen that provides a clear, simple, and (relatively) neutral explanation of each presidential candidate's positions on the issues?

I'm trying to convince a friend who's an undecided voter (yes, they're still out there!) to vote for my candidate (Obama, if that matters). She's requested links to sites where the issues are explained clearly, simply and neutrally. Any suggestions?

(And yes, I'm looking for explanations for both candidates, because I'm sure that once she sees the candidates' views on the issues, she'll swing to my side!)
posted by elquien to Law & Government (12 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Factcheck.org is a good start.
posted by Fuzzy Skinner at 8:05 AM on October 21, 2008

Project Vote Smart They even cover state elections.
posted by fiercekitten at 8:09 AM on October 21, 2008

I'm not sure this is possible, and I'll give you the most obvious (though most incendiary) example to illustrate why.

Democrats (by and large) tend to view the abortion issue in terms of the reproductive rights of the mother.

Republicans (again, by and large) tend to view it in terms of the right to life of the fetus (and using that term outs me; see how hard this stuff is?)

This is why you hear pro-life, but rarely anti-life and almost never pro-death (the latter two often being used by Dems to make fun of Repubs). You do hear anti-choice fairly frequently, though, seriously used.

The point, of course, is that they don't even see it as being the same issue, which is why they're talking past one another and are unlikely ever to come to terms.

And that's why it's so difficult to be neutral when enumerating the positions.
posted by baylink at 8:21 AM on October 21, 2008 [1 favorite]

This post today on the blue from PBS gives a deep background on each candidate.
posted by netbros at 8:27 AM on October 21, 2008

OnTheIssues.org gives a pretty good outline of the candidates' positions. Careful when citing, however, since it swings the tiniest bit to the left.
posted by Willie0248 at 8:29 AM on October 21, 2008

On the Issues
posted by niles at 8:31 AM on October 21, 2008

NYT
posted by Jaltcoh at 9:00 AM on October 21, 2008

Wired had a nice comparison last week on their stances on 5 technological issues.
posted by mannequito at 10:00 AM on October 21, 2008

One of the few edge cases in which anyone being able to edit I think might help: Wikipedia's article "Comparison of United States presidential candidates, 2008."
posted by WCityMike at 10:18 AM on October 21, 2008

Procon.org is supposed to be non-partisan. I can't say if it is as I haven't used it much.
posted by chairface at 8:37 PM on October 21, 2008

If she wants to do work, ask her to try an experiment. Pick a couple of issue she care about. Go to the candiates' websites. See if she can create a homework style outline of her reading. If she's a reader, if she's ever graded a single paper, she'll have a hard time not going for your candidate
posted by Lesser Shrew at 11:59 AM on November 1, 2008

« Older Old technology + new technology = nothing?   |   Bean Day readings? Newer »