This one doesn't go to 11. Yet.

Carver amplifier identification help please! I found this Carver amp in the garbage. Need help identifying it and figuring out what it'll take to fix.

I found this Carver Amplifier while walking to the subway this morning. It says Magentic Field Power Amplifier on the front, but other than that it has no model identification info. So a few questions:

1) Anyone know what model this is?
2) Is Carver still considered an upper middle range audiophile maker or is basically over-hyped shite?
3) The power cord in the back is severed, it's missing some control pots and a button or two is out of whack. It looks solid state...I don't see any tubes. Given that, is it worth trying to rehab this thing?

Any insight that can be offered would be helpful.
posted by spicynuts to Technology (8 answers total)

Oh wow! Thanks, man! That looks sweet. Now I need help figuring out if the Carver marketing machine is just hype or if I actually hit the jackpot here. I have an Onkyo I paid like 130 bucks for that works lovely.
posted by spicynuts at 11:47 AM on October 20, 2008

You may want to give Hi-Tech Audio Repair a call. They specialize in servicing Carver amps and audio equipment. Those guys can probably give you an estimate for OEM repair parts over the phone. You could also probably get help from this CarverAudio forum.
posted by junesix at 12:04 PM on October 20, 2008

That receiver was built in '87-88. Carver equipment from the 70s and 80s is excellent, practically reference equipment when you can find it in good condition. You want to avoid the stuff in the 90s when he sold the company and started Sunfire.

In terms of whether it's worth rehabilitating, well that probably comes down to how badly it's damaged. If it's really just the power cord and a few knobs, then I'd say it's worth it. But if there's anything internal that's damaged, then it's probably not. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell until you fire it up with the replacement power cord. At minimum, open it up and check out the internals to see if there's any obvious damage, rust, fried caps, etc.
posted by junesix at 12:08 PM on October 20, 2008

My father has one of those and it is an excellent amplifier. You couldn't touch one in this class new for less than a grand, probably more.
posted by caddis at 1:50 PM on October 20, 2008

I have this amp. I bought it around 86 and if I recall I paid about $750 for it. My buddy worked at the store and used his employee discount so it probably retailed for a little more than that. It's a great amp but of course anything that old will not accept any digital inputs. If you need optical or HDMI imputs, forget it but if all you want to hook up is CD, Tape or Phono inputs it may be worth repairing. I'm at work right now and can't check my manual but I want to say it's about 140 watts rms.
posted by reidfleming at 10:10 PM on October 20, 2008

Hi, reidfleming...I plan on hooking a turntable and maybe a CD player to it. Turntable is the key. So, I'm not married to any digital inputs. Any schematics you might have or any other info about the guts or part numbers or anything like that would be much appreciated. Spec sheet too! Thanks so much!
posted by spicynuts at 8:17 AM on October 21, 2008

I had great luck getting help from the users in the Vintage Asylum at Audio Asylum when I had similar questions a few years ago.

I have a lot of service manuals from that era, but none from Carver..

I think you'll have relatively good luck finding replacement parts on that unit, because the semiconductor market had begun to mature by that time. Parts for 70s gear can be quite a bit more difficult, I think, because semi-conductors were changing very rapidly at the time -- most 70s parts were obsoleted quickly.
posted by Chuckles at 4:36 PM on October 21, 2008

« Older If only people were all fruit. Then you'd be able...   |   Looking for a car company in Providence, RI that... Newer »