Help me find more geographic datasets.

Help me find more geographic datasets like these two: 1 and 2.

I am looking for two things: datasets (preferably free) that have geographic/historical data. I wish to map these.
posted by harhailla.harhaluuossa to Science & Nature (9 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Any particular location/region or type of data (demographic, economic, geologic)? In what format do you need the data, and/or what software are you using? You're casting a pretty wide net here.
posted by desjardins at 8:50 PM on October 14, 2008

Yes the net is wide intentionally. I'm in an academic setting that could use all sorts of data (in a bunch of formats (if need be)).
posted by harhailla.harhaluuossa at 8:53 PM on October 14, 2008

Well, this is going to be US centric because that's where I am. I would recommend checking with the geography department at your school (in addition to the library) - they almost certainly have resources for you. They'll have stuff that THEY have paid for that is free to you (or just the cost of the CD) so it's likely better than what you'll find online. But the following links should give you a good start on whatever it is that you're doing.

Census data
City of Chicago GIS data. More Chicago stuff (regional).
Google 'your city + gis data download' and you'll probably find free stuff.
USGS raw data downloads for North America
Geo Torrents has a mishmash of stuff.
GIS Data Depot (mostly free, has other countries)
posted by desjardins at 10:04 PM on October 14, 2008

Forgot: Free GIS data by region. Another huge list of links.
posted by desjardins at 10:08 PM on October 14, 2008

GeoGratis (Canada)
posted by klanawa at 12:41 AM on October 15, 2008

The New Jersey state Department of Environmental Protection has a ton of free administrative and environmental data sets (www.state.nj.us/dep/gis).
posted by mollweide at 4:40 AM on October 15, 2008

PASDA has a lot of Pennsylvania data available.
posted by that girl at 5:23 AM on October 15, 2008

If you are doing work on the United States, this site will be invaluable to you: Census 2000 TIGER/Line Data.
posted by UrbanEconomist at 6:10 AM on October 15, 2008

If you are in an academic setting ask around your campus. Ask at your library, where I work there is a librarian who specializes in GIS data. Also do a google search like "gis site:youruniversity.edu" to try to find faculty or groups who might have data they could share.

Cornell University Geospatial Information Repository (CUGIR)(disclamer: I work at this library)

Many states have GIS data clearinghouses:
NY state GIS clearing house(flash heavy)(disclamer: I live in NY)
posted by bdc34 at 8:19 AM on October 15, 2008

« Older MacBook-new or old?   |   Poll gap, why must you narrow? Newer »