This shit is BANANAS.

Why does my network adapter keep disappearing in XP??

Hi all!

Your tech expertise is required here. I just recently finished building myself a new pc. Got it all set up and installed Windows XP as the OS. It's been about 4 days now, and I am having a consistant problem with the network adapter for my onboard gigabit LAN.

I installed the Realtek driver that came with my motherboard (AsRock P45ts), and it worked fine after I installed it. However, the next time I booted up, I had no internet connection. My LAN connection was missing from the Network Connections folder, and Network Adapters was also missing from my hardware profile.

Now, I selected the option to "show hidden hardware" and then the Network Adapters show up, but Windows doesn't detect any problem.

So, each time I'm forced to uninstall the driver, then reboot and reinstall. I also went and found an updated version of the Realtek driver, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference.

What the heck is going on here??

The specific driver that I'm using is "REALTEK GbE & FE Ethernet PCI-E NIC Driver".

posted by BobFrapples to Computers & Internet (1 answer total)

Just a thought, but have you checked the BIOS settings for the ethernet controller?
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 8:10 AM on October 13, 2008

« Older How to handle a retro-reduced inheritance?   |   How to include new significant other Newer »