What can I do about the security of my previous employer's customers?

My previous employer was not the least bit concerned with the privacy of their customers' information. What can I do now?

I worked for a local wireless company for almost a year and was constantly cringing at how little they cared about the security of their customers' information.

My two most major concerns:

1. Employees in my office were allowed to receive work email on their personal cell phones. In my department, we always emailed copies of any credit checks run by a member of that department and held them for 30 days. The employees had on their phones hundreds of social security numbers, addresses, work histories, credit scores, credit histories, loan information, bankruptcy claims, collections, and so much more. If one of their personal phones were ever to be stolen (which wouldn't surprise me, most employees had top of the line cell phones), the thief would have all of this at his or her fingertips.

2. Employees left paperwork with customers' credit card and/or bank account and routing numbers laying around. This information was often stapled with a copy of their contract, which contained their name, address, ssn, dob, etc. This information was not secured, and often left laying around until someone got to it. Even then, it was just thrown on a desk until we mailed it out.

No, it was not a professional atmosphere in the least, and now that I'M the customer, I want to make sure my information is secure. I know this is not common practice throughout the wireless industry. Who can I contact *outside* of this company who may get the ball rolling on some much needed changes?
posted by jaynedanger to Work & Money (5 answers total)

The people most likely to be interested in this information would be the company's credit card payment service.
posted by rhizome at 3:14 PM on October 8, 2008

In my business (POS systems) credit card security has to meet the standards set here. Find out if they compliant. Pretty sure this applies to any business passing CC info along electronically.
posted by D_I at 3:45 PM on October 8, 2008

More colorfully, you might think about contacting the local Shame On You consumer protection report. Identify theft is a hot enough topic these days that you might be able to pique your local consumer gadfly's interest.
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 5:23 PM on October 8, 2008

Agree with the above, and, now that you're the customer, consider switching to another wireless company. You shouldn't have to worry about if your information is secure or not - you pay them every month, it's their job to provide you with the service (which includes keeping sensitive info private).
posted by AlisonM at 5:37 AM on October 9, 2008

« Older A good book for Final Cut Pro 5   |   How important can one little vent be? Newer »