What to include in a movie-clip library for parties?

Best scenes ever from films? A caveat inside ...

Movieoke! I learned about it from this MeFi thread and found a version in my town which got me hooked. Now, if I want to start a movie-clip library of my own to do a home party version, what should I include?

From my one experience, a great movie scene is not necessarily a great movieoke scene. A great movieoke scene has any of the following: accents or weird voices, sound effects, familiar soundtrack moments, memorable lines, action that forces the person on stage to do something comprimising and/or to use props ...

Any tips on the "how" would be appreciated too. Yes, I know, copyright. I don't own a DVD burner, but if I invest, I'd like to know the procedure of mining these movie clips.
posted by kmel to Media & Arts (56 answers total)

The ear scene from Reservoir Dogs.

As to how: DVD Decrypter is an excellent free cracking program. I haven't done any editing though, so I don't know about making clips.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 7:55 AM on September 21, 2004

The Marseillaise scene from Casablanca. Movieoke and Karaoke in one!
posted by CunningLinguist at 8:00 AM on September 21, 2004

The drug deal gone awry/"Sister Christian" scene in Boogie Nights.
posted by mookieproof at 8:01 AM on September 21, 2004

"What does Marcellus Wallace look like?"
posted by jpoulos at 8:13 AM on September 21, 2004

"My God, Bones, what did I do?"

"What you had to do. What you always do. Turn death into a fightin' chance to live."
posted by inksyndicate at 8:20 AM on September 21, 2004

General Jack D. Ripper : Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake : No, I don't think I do, sir, no.

General Jack D. Ripper : He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
posted by Skot at 8:34 AM on September 21, 2004

Counting orgasms in Amelie.
posted by Capn at 8:34 AM on September 21, 2004

No personal experience with movieoke, but here's what comes to my mind...

I suppose to some extent it depends on knowing the scene well...but my brother and I can do the entire "battle of wits" scene between Vizzini and the Man in Black from The Princess Bride from memory. (Oops, I see that's listed as a favorite in the FAQ in the first link, so I'm hardly original there.)

"Quarter pounder with cheese" dialogue from Pulp Fiction.

Heather's apology in The Blair Witch Project...just begging for a campy over-the-top treatment.

Plenty of good dialogue and funny accents in Fargo, although no single scene in particular jumps out at me.

I imagine "Funny? Funny how?" from Goodfellas is overdone, but there's a lot of other good lines in that movie.

Any of the scenes between Lecter and Clarice in The Silence of the Lambs.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 8:50 AM on September 21, 2004

P.S. The scene where Elle is reading about the effects of the black mamba to Budd in Kill Bill: Vol. 2.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 8:54 AM on September 21, 2004

The _Up in Smoke_ scene where Chong is in a house that is about to be raided by the cops and Cheech has him on the phone.

The whole _Princess Bride_ is whould be great for this project. My favourite scene for this would be preparing to storm the castle or the rhyming bit on the boat.
posted by Mitheral at 8:57 AM on September 21, 2004

"Funny? Funny how? I amuse you? I make you laugh?"
posted by jonmc at 9:07 AM on September 21, 2004

Mitheral: ......or the left handed duel, or the reasoning contest.

I reckon the Rutger Hauer monologue at the end of Bladerunner is ripe for parody especially if you then ad libbed a commentary over the "driving into the sunset sequence" in the original release.
posted by davehat at 9:11 AM on September 21, 2004

ooops. Looks like devilsadvocate already mentioned mine and jonmc's.

must. remember. to. read. all. comments. before. posting.
posted by davehat at 9:14 AM on September 21, 2004

Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".
posted by kenko at 9:16 AM on September 21, 2004

'Quarter pounder with cheese' dialogue from Pulp Fiction.

[VINCENT]
No, they got the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

[JULES]
What'd they call it?

[VINCENT]
They call it Royale with Cheese.
posted by kirkaracha at 9:29 AM on September 21, 2004

Pretty much anything said by Jesus in Lebowski. Oh, hell; pretty much any scene in Lebowski.
posted by LionIndex at 9:40 AM on September 21, 2004

The High Fidelity scene with Jack Black and his Mix tape: Here's the thing. I made that tape special for today. My special Monday morning for YOU... SPECIAL.

The scene with Olive performing in Bullets over Broadway.

Pretty much any scene in Raising Arizona.
posted by renyoj at 9:44 AM on September 21, 2004

Three scenes from The Full Monty:

During the tryouts to find dancers - "Gentlemen, the lunchpail has landed"

When they're watching Flashdance

When they're practicing, and it occurs to them that the move they need to learn is the same as the Arsenal offside trap, and they all get it on the first try.
posted by vito90 at 10:03 AM on September 21, 2004

The Robert de Niro "entoosiasms/teamwork" speech from The Untouchables.

The first meeting between Hugh Grant (as the Prime Minister) and Martine McCutcheon (as Natalie) in Love Actually:

Natalie: "Hello, David...I mean sir. Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. Oh and now I've gone and said shit...twice. I'm so sorry, sir."
Prime Minister: "It's fine, it's fine. You could've said fuck, and then we'd have been in real trouble. "
Natalie: "Thank you, sir. I did have an awful premonition that I was going to fuck up on the first day...oh piss it!"

Agreed with LionIndex about Lebowski, although that's just, like, your opinion, man.
posted by biscotti at 10:04 AM on September 21, 2004

No one mentioned "The untouchables" yet especially Connerys scenes.
"You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send on of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? "
posted by stuartmm at 10:06 AM on September 21, 2004

Oh, virtually any scene featuring the brothers from a Marx Brothers movie, particularly the Groucho/Chico exchanges:

Spaulding: What do you fellas get an hour?
Ravelli: For playing, we get-a ten dollars an hour.
Spaulding: I see. What do you get for not playing?
Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour.
Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that.
Ravelli: Now for rehearsing, we make special rate. That's-a fifteen dollars an hour...That's-a for rehearsing.
Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing?
Ravelli: You couldn't afford it. You see, if we don't rehearse, we a-don't play, and if we don't play (he snaps his finger) - that runs into money.
Spaulding: How much would you want to run into an open manhole?
Ravelli: Just-a the cover charge! Ha, ha, ha.
Spaulding: Well, drop in some time.
Ravelli: Sewer.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 10:14 AM on September 21, 2004

Another great one is the Hopper/Walken scene in True Romance, and the Slater/Oldman scene in the same ("Is this white boy day? I didn't think today was white boy day")
posted by vito90 at 10:17 AM on September 21, 2004

The scene from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World when Sylvester and his girlfriend are dancing as the phone is ringing.

"Now listen to me, Mommy, listen to me close. You stay right there, because I'm coming, Mom. I'm coming to get you. "
posted by bondcliff at 10:20 AM on September 21, 2004

Any of several scenes from my favorite movie, the eminently quotable The Lion In Winter.
posted by Hildago at 10:25 AM on September 21, 2004

"All i need is this chair...and this ashtray..." -- from The Jerk.
posted by amberglow at 10:29 AM on September 21, 2004

Not strictly a scene, but the music video for Jaan Pehechan Ho from the Ghost World DVD will scramble your brain.
posted by MegoSteve at 10:43 AM on September 21, 2004

the scene in the sure thing where he...well...pretty much the entire movie...
posted by damnitkage at 10:56 AM on September 21, 2004

"eet ees eaunly waffer zin"

"Fuck off, I'm stuffed"

And thanks to LionIndex - tonight I will be mainly watching the Big Lebowski (again)
posted by jontyjago at 10:57 AM on September 21, 2004

Oh, and you won't want to neglect these Gay Mafia favorites, Valley of the Dolls ("They drummed you outta Hollywood? So you come crawlin' back to Broadway. Well. Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. Now, get outta my way, I've got a man waitin' for me."), All About Eve ("How nice for Lloyd. How nice for Eve. How nice for ev'ryone."), The Women ("Oh! Oh! Oh, mommy darling! Oh, daddy dearest!") and, my personal favorite, Victor/Victoria ("Now remember, when you're dancing, make it broader, with tons of shoulder! Remember, you're a drag queen!").
posted by JollyWanker at 11:03 AM on September 21, 2004

By the way, just some of the scenes that worked well at the Austin videoke:

- "Make me feel better!" scene from Monster's Ball (the winner)
- Forrest Gump's box of chocolates speech
- Empire Strikes Back: Luke I'm Your Father fight scene
- Lord of the Rings: Gollum wrestles with Frodo for ring
- Leonardo stops Kate Winslet from jumping ship in Titanic
- Summer Nights from Grease (karaoke + movieoke)
- Something from Rules of Attraction but since I hadn't seen the movie I couldn't tell you
- Fight Club: the rules of Fight Club
- I did Jennifer Aniston "flair" scene in Office Space, which seemed to go over well
posted by kmel at 11:11 AM on September 21, 2004

Campfire scene from Dead Man. Give an award to anyone who nails Iggy Pop's accent.
posted by joaquim at 11:23 AM on September 21, 2004

Ned Beatty in Network. Or the scene where they argue over percentages.
The audition scene from Mulholland Drive.
The "Our friendship is categorically irrelevant here," scene from hurlyburly.
Kent visits the station during Talk Radio.
The "No, lady! No!" scene or any other from After Hours.
The Ice Cream scene from Down By Law.
The Analingus scene from Two Girls and a Guy. ;)
The "Because you saw me call on Jesus" scene from Spartan.
The Love and Hate scene from Night of the Hunter/Do the Right Thing.
"Venutians" from Easy Rider.
The "who wants a milkshake" or "do you pick your feet in Poughkeepsie" scene from French Connection.
The opening (clitoris) scene from Roger Dodger or the lesson number one scene.
Ellen Burstyn's I'm gonna be on TV scene with Harry from Requiem for a Dream.
The goldfish scene from Out of Sight.
The first scene at the Taft Hotel in The Graduate.
Just about anything from the Ninth Configuration would do as far as quotable lines goes. It's the movie with the most fucked lines I've ever scene.
"The gun is good; the penis is evil" scene from Zardoz.
The "clutching a bottle of paint thinner" scene from Sure Thing.
The "You can't even wipe your own ass" scene from Blood Simple.
The "not unless you call round funny" scene from Raising Arizona.
The Lesson in Fear scene from Donnie Darko.
Any of Brad Pitt's scenes from Snatch.
Mother/Sister from Chinatown.
The "there's always got to be poison!" scene from Carnal Knowledge. Or the Ballbusters on Parade scene.
The "Balls! I'll swallow it and run a mile" scene from Withnail and I.
Shoplifting from Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Just about anything from His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story, The Sweet Smell of Success, or Hail the Conquering Hero.
The burlyman scene from The Killing.
The talk with the shrink scene from 400 Blows.
Charlotte Rampling's "are you seeing anybody?" scene from Stardust Memories.
Any of Tom Cruise's on stage scenes from Magnolia.
The "Moving!" scene from Way of the Gun (though it's all movement and little dialogue).
The shoes/boots or rice paddy scene from Glengarry Glenn Ross.
See Arizona Dream for Vincent Gallo's terrific sendup of the cropduster scene in North by Northwest.
posted by dobbs at 11:27 AM on September 21, 2004

The scene in Duck, You Sucker which ends with Rod Steiger saying, "and what has happened to the poor people? They are all dead!" is really good.
posted by kenko at 11:35 AM on September 21, 2004

Donnie Darko explaining Smurf sexuality (or the lack thereof) to his friends. Willy Wonka's Wonkatania chant. The Stars Wars Death Star contractors discussion from Clerks. The homosexuality-in-Archie comics discussion in Chasing Amy. The Madonna conversation that starts off Reservoir Dogs. Quentin Tarantino revealing Top Gun's gay subtext in Sleep With Me. The fight at the dinner table in American Beauty. Kent talking to Jesus in Real Genius. You could do a whole, tedious night of Monty Python. The "performance art" piece in Bogosian and Linklater's Suburbia. Tyler Durden talking about the "all singing, all dancing crap of the world" in Fight Club. The scene about J.E. Pritchard's book "Understanding Poetry" in Dead Poets' Society. Army of Darkness: "This is my boom stick!"

On preview: errr....none of this lowbrow crap holds a candle to dobbs' list
posted by jbrjake at 11:41 AM on September 21, 2004

Definitely agree on the Hopper/Walken scene in True Romance: "Sicilians are great liars. The best in the world. I'm a Sicilian. And my old man was the world heavyweight champion of Sicilian liars. And from growin' up with him I learned the pantomime."

As well, the DeNiro/Pacino scene in Heat: "You know, we are sitting here like a couple of regular fellows and if I have to go out there and put you down, I'll tell you, I won't like it. But if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, buddy, you are going down.". And then McCauley replies: "There is a flip side to this coin. What if you do get me boxed in and I will have to put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate, not for a second."

And my all time favorite from Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie is confronted by the two cops outside of Victor Maitlin's estate: [Mocking the cop] "You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brother. It shouldflow out, like this - "Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!"
posted by jasondigitized at 12:07 PM on September 21, 2004

The Walkin/Hopper scene in True Romance, with the "Italians are niggers" dialogue.

And of course, the scene in Trading Places when Eddie is in jail.

"Yeah."

On preview: Jesus H. Fucking Christ on a pogo-stick, jasondigitized.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 12:08 PM on September 21, 2004

couldn't even try to be complete but can i just go old school with a little name that scene?
"--i'd smoke two three of these a day--"
"--i look like goddamn stevie nicks!"
"Igor"
"god damn dirty ape"
"just because i speak french doesn't make me joan of arc"
"kitten juggling"
"how do you use the birds?"
posted by ethylene at 12:26 PM on September 21, 2004

The stage scene with the monster from Young Frankenstein, or when they're eating dinner:
"You just made a 'yummy' sound!"
posted by LionIndex at 12:35 PM on September 21, 2004

davehat Mitheral: ......or the left handed duel

The duel is good but I'm not sure how you could handle all the vertical movement.

For something a little different either the Sharks Anonymous scene or the reading the address off the mask scene from _Finding Nemo_.

The _Chasing Amy_ scene where Alyssa, Holden, Banky are sitting at the club and Alyssa and Banky are one upping each other on injuries sustained while going down.
posted by Mitheral at 1:00 PM on September 21, 2004

"Bitches, man. Bitches." Say Anything.
posted by grabbingsand at 1:09 PM on September 21, 2004

You know my head is exploding, right? (Probably filmgoerjuan too).

I could write a 20 page post on what to do. So many good scenes and dialog.

Walken from Pulp fiction? The gay black militant from Chasing Amy?

Pick a genre and a decade, and I might have something that you'd enjoy. You getting up solo? Or with someone else (or multiple people?) Do you want them to laugh? Cry? (your performance aside - I think it's brilliant to make a sad scene funny in delivery or a funny scene sad)

Any details would help.
posted by filmgeek at 1:33 PM on September 21, 2004

OK, here's a few, though maybe not as specific as you would like. I think they'd appeal most to my movieoke target demographic:

80s Brat Pack
Great Monologues (for the solo performer)
Sappy Death Scenes
70s Exploitation, but not so obscure that they would alienate the audience
70s-80s Horror
posted by kmel at 1:50 PM on September 21, 2004

When Robin Williams first fights back in The Fisher King. Also the scene where Jeff Bridges' character tells Kathy Najimy what video to rent.

The sunglasses fight scene from They Live.

The dinner scene from the Steve Martin/Michael Caine version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

practically any single frame of Caddyshack
posted by ssmith at 1:52 PM on September 21, 2004

I found that ripping individual scenes from DVD to avi or whatever is more of a pain than you'd think. I tried using DVD Shrink to copy the VOBs to the hard drive, and DVD2AVI to select the scene and convert it. Unless there's a better way (and there ought to be), you're looking at ~45 minutes per scene.
posted by muckster at 1:53 PM on September 21, 2004

"New shit has come to light." The Big Lebowski
posted by bradhill at 2:04 PM on September 21, 2004

The fight scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:

Butch Cassidy : No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
Harvey Logan : Rules? In a knife fight? No rules.
[Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
Butch Cassidy : Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
Sundance Kid : [quickly] 123go.
[Butch knocks Harvey out]
posted by kirkaracha at 2:07 PM on September 21, 2004

For some ideas for solo performers (although perhaps some of these are more intense/serious than the mood you're trying to create), you can also check out American Rhetoric's Movie Speeches site. (Note, however, that their definition of a speech is perhaps more restrictive than the common definition would be.) A few of my favorites here are "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore" from Network, and Danny DeVito's buggy whip speech from Other People's Money.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 2:31 PM on September 21, 2004

Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now: Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say hello to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say do you know that if is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you - I mean I'm no, I can't - I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
posted by picea at 2:32 PM on September 21, 2004

How about Dennis Hopper in River's Edge talking about his motorcycle accident where he lost his leg: "I remember lying there and thinking, "there's my leg, I wonder if there's any beer in that can". Then the ambulance came along and ran right over it...wasted that leg. "
posted by biscotti at 3:12 PM on September 21, 2004

Greed Is Good.
posted by Gortuk at 4:14 PM on September 21, 2004

"How an an angel in his apprehension" Withnail & I

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine" Full Metal Jacket

"It's not that I condone facism, or any ism for that matter. Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon "I do not believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." A good point there, after all he was the walrus. I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off everyone." Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Some more ideas here
posted by dmt at 5:00 PM on September 21, 2004

"As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!" Gone With The Wind "I'd love to kiss you but I just washed my hair," from Jezebel?, the scene in The Fifth Element where the guy on drugs tries to rob Bruce Willis's character, and he ends up taking the guy's gun: "That's a nice hat," says Willis. "You like it? You can have it!" says thief.
posted by Lynsey at 6:26 PM on September 21, 2004

"Hola Senor! We are the Federales, you know, the mounted police!"
"If you are the police, where are your badges?"
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
posted by Wet Spot at 7:16 PM on September 21, 2004

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and -
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause] These go to eleven.
And of course, this scene is just a pure classic...
Dupea: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup of coffee, and wheat toast.
Waitress: (She points to the menu) No substitutions.
Dupea: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?
Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two - a plain omelette. It comes with cottage fries and rolls.
Dupea: Yeah, I know what it comes with. But it's not what I want.
Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind.
Dupea: Wait a minute. I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee, and a side order of wheat toast.
Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast...an English muffin or a coffee roll.
Dupea: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make sandwiches, don't you?
Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?
Dupea: ...You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?
Waitress: I don't make the rules.
Dupea: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
Waitress: A number two, chicken sal san, hold the butter, the lettuce and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?
Dupea: Yeah. Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
Waitress (spitefully): You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
Dupea: I want you to hold it between your knees.
Waitress (turning and telling him to look at the sign that says, "No Substitutions") Do you see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm.
Dupea: You see this sign? (He sweeps all the water glasses and menus off the table.)
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 9:15 PM on September 21, 2004

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

(Go on. You know you want to.)
posted by Katemonkey at 12:55 AM on September 22, 2004

Oh my goodness yes. And "You're the man now dog!"
posted by kmel at 4:32 PM on September 22, 2004

« Older Why don't US elections use a pencil and checkbox...   |   Put That In Your Pipe and Smoke It... Newer »