What do I use to make my first website?

Need recommendations for personal website as hub to internet life for a first time page creator.

I'm wanting to establish an official internet presence for myself. I've never made a site before, so simplicity is key. I would like the site to show my recent flickr uploads, my delicious shared items for a specific tag, and my shared google reader items. Adsense integration would be nice, too. I don't feel like I have much more to contribute to the web than this right now, so I don't think a "blog" makes sense. Just a simple site to put all my web junk in one place.
Help me find the best service for me. As I said, I've never done this before, so specifics would be nice.
Thanks, hive!
posted by grieserm to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

You might want to look into Tumblr. It can pull feeds from many popular services, and you can integrate AdSense into the themes. Check my profile for a link to my personal Tumblr.

posted by BryanPayne at 11:45 AM on October 4, 2008

Tumblr
posted by BryanPayne at 11:45 AM on October 4, 2008 [1 favorite]

yeah, Tumblr all the way. It is also easier than most services to putter around with the design, while retaining flexibility.
posted by acidic at 12:24 PM on October 4, 2008

I love Tumblr as well. However, if you want a "web site" look and not a blog look, you might consider the super easy Google Sites . It is the successor to Google Page Creator, but much better and souped up.

You might also look at Wetpaint if you want to go the "site" route versus a blog look.
posted by Gerard Sorme at 1:19 PM on October 4, 2008

Thanks for the input everyone!
Tumblr wins! Here it is.
I'm still trying to figure out how to best integrate Google Reader Shared Items into it... Any suggestions?
posted by grieserm at 3:16 PM on October 12, 2008

« Older Picture a Venn diagram with 3 circles: LaTeX...   |   childproofing the internet Newer »