Exclavefilter: How do I build a cabin in Point Roberts without breaking any laws?
September 30, 2008 6:31 PM   Subscribe

Exclavefilter: What is involved in building a small cabin on a wooded lot in Point Roberts? What grief might I expect from the border?

I'm doing some planning to buy one of many small wooded lots in Point Roberts Washington. I live in Vancouver, and am a Canadian citizen.

I am aware of the grief obtaining Power, Water, and Septic in these lots, and in the short term would avoid these things. Just a 350 Square foot cabin with RV-style cooking, water, and septic systems, totally self contained.

What is the best way to obtain building materials? (wood, roofing, hardware etc). Will I be taxed on this if I bring it in from Canada? Can I legally bring wood into Canada? If not, how do I get it over from the mainland?

What about materials like stove, windows, furniture etc as I acquire it? And tools/generator etc?

Zoning in Point roberts - I know I have to apply for anything larger than 200sq feet. If I promise to handle my septic via pumping service, what other hoops would I need to jump through to get a permit?

What other big pain in the butt issues will I have to think about?
posted by upc_head to Home & Garden (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
You cannot legally bring goods that would be taxed if purchased in Washington from outside states/countries that involve residence building, major appliances, etc. That being said, I doubt you'd be able to get across the border with a truck full of building materials.
posted by ZaneJ. at 12:49 AM on October 1, 2008

« Older If you Kindle - how has it changed you?   |   I'm an experienced copywriter -- how do I find a... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.