Hello Mary Lou, Good bye Heart.

I'm looking to put together a CD of Horror Movies' Cheesiest, Greatest Hits (i.e. the opening theme to Killer Klowns from Outer Space, the ballad closing My Bloody Valentine, etc.), but I've hit a wall. Help!

So far I've got:
-Red Right Hand (Scream)
-Killer Klowns from Outer Space
-Ballad of Harry Warden (My Bloody Valentine)
-Too Bad You're Crazy (April Fool's Day)
-Prom Night (Prom Night - the amazingly excellent Disco sequence)
-Hello, Mary Lou (Prom Night II)

And that's about it. Ideally this project would fill up a CD for my to-and-from work to put me in a holly jolly Halloween mood. Should I just be happy with what I've got?
posted by bookwo3107 to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Check out Leprechaun 5: Leprechaun in the Hood. I believe the Leprechaun raps at one point.

(ps the Leprechaun movies are awesome!)
posted by ian1977 at 4:17 AM on September 26, 2008

Also, I don't know if there would be a full song version out there....but what about the "1, 2 Freddy's coming for you. 3, 4 better lock your door..." song?

Oh! Ever see Motel Hell? There is a seen in the beginning when a van carrying the members of Ivan and the Terribles is barreling down a country road...they are singing/practicing one of their songs. Something like...."I've had it, I've had it, I have had it up to here girl, I have it up here with youuuuuuuuu" And then the van hits Farmer Vincent's spike trap and careens off the road. If you had a snippet of them singing, then include the tires bursting sound, and then the van crash...that could be a cool little mini thing.

Also in that movie is when Farmer Vincent is hypnotizing his human crop before harvesting them. He gives this weird speech about them going on a fantastic trip. That isnt musical but would make a great interlude thing.
posted by ian1977 at 4:22 AM on September 26, 2008

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, starts about 1:37

Scary Clown Dream Theme in Pee Wee Herman
posted by poppo at 4:58 AM on September 26, 2008

(Note: The Sleepaway Camp song is about 7:00 into the above link.)
posted by brandman at 5:00 AM on September 26, 2008

Oh please put in "Pet Semetary" (from the movie of the same name) by The Ramones.
posted by Evangeline at 5:03 AM on September 26, 2008 [2 favorites]

Willow's Song from Wicker Man
posted by softlord at 5:11 AM on September 26, 2008

While we're talking about Stephen King movies, don't forget the AC/DC soundtrack to Maximum Overdrive.
posted by whatzit at 5:18 AM on September 26, 2008 [1 favorite]

Can't forget Alice Cooper's He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask) from Friday the 13th Part VI.
posted by Faint of Butt at 5:19 AM on September 26, 2008

Freddy raps.
posted by slimepuppy at 5:41 AM on September 26, 2008

Man, you guys are awesome.

ian1977 On Leprechaun in the Hood, a soundtrack was apparently recorded, but never released - Do you have any idea where I can find the song?
posted by bookwo3107 at 5:53 AM on September 26, 2008

Along the same lines as slimepuppy's link, Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.
posted by jozxyqk at 6:06 AM on September 26, 2008 [1 favorite]

From I, Madman, "Chanson D'Amour." Written by Wayne Shanklin. Performed by Art and Dotty Todd.

And let's not forget a couple of good tracks from Jeepers, Creepers.

You'd need the VHS, as the music was replaced in the DVD, but could you go wrong with Happy Birthday to Me?
posted by adipocere at 6:08 AM on September 26, 2008

Anything from Rocky Horror Picture Show, which is a horror flick only by technicality.
posted by spamguy at 6:13 AM on September 26, 2008

Is The Gonk from Dawn of the Dead too obvious now that it is the closing theme of Robot Chicken? Also in the U.K. it is now well known as The Ladies' Bras after Jonny Trunk and Wisbey re-recorded it as such. (The last link may be NSFW.)
posted by galaksit at 6:19 AM on September 26, 2008

Don't forget Dokken's Dream Warriors, which was the theme to A Nightmare on Elm Street 3.
posted by uncleozzy at 6:21 AM on September 26, 2008

They're all the best answers in my heart. Thanks again guys, and if you have more, keep 'em coming. I'd much rather have too many then too little, lol.
posted by bookwo3107 at 6:50 AM on September 26, 2008

Kiss Kicker 99, from the truly miserable B horror movie, Hobgoblins. Here's MST3K's take on it.
posted by CrunchyFrog at 7:35 AM on September 26, 2008

This is right up my alley and perhaps I can help.

There's a dance song called Omen III by Magic Affair. "Go where you want but don't forget the Omen!"

On the Beyond Reanimator DVD there's a dance song called "Move your dead bones" with lines like "Reanimate your feet". The video is hysterical. The only CD I've been able to find it on was an Amazon.com $40 import called Disco Estrella (and yes, I bought it). The singer is Dr. Reanimator.

I've liked the opening song from Nightmare on Elm Street 4 sung by the movie's Patricia Arquette replacement Tuesday Knight, "Running from this nightmare". It was not on the CD, but a recording of the audio from the DVD isn't too bad, just some wind sound effects, fade out when the Nightmare score kicks in, it works well.

Sticking with Nightmare on Elm Street we have Freddy's dead by Iggy Pop on the Freddy's Dead soundtrack. Love Kills by Vinnie Vincent Invasion on the Nightmare 4 soundtrack. On Nightmare on Elm Street 5, Bruce Dickinson's "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" won a Golden Raspberry award for worst song from a movie that year.

In addition to Freddy Rappin with the Fat Boys, there was a record album put out in the 80's with Robert "Freddy" Englund singing and rapping. It's TERRIBLE. (I own it)

And the granddaddy: Dream Warriors by Dokken

There's a bunch of Rob Zombie stuff... House of 1,000 Corpses from the movie of the same name, Boogyman (or the cheesy Disco original if you prefer)... Meet the Creeper from the movie Jeepers Creepers...

From the 80's movie Fright Night J. Geils Band did the titular song. Nice and cheesy

Motorhead did a slammin version of Ozzy Osbourne's "Hellraiser" for the Hellraiser 3 soundtrack.

Speaking of Ozzy, Trick or Treat by Fastway from the movie "Trick or Treat" with Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne...

The lounge version of "Get Down with the Sickness" by Richard Cheese was prominently featured in Dawn of the Dead to great effect.

Some of the songs from Lost Boys are quite iconic, though not directly horror in nature. The "Cry little children" song is tremendous...

I always like to sing the Silver Shamrock song from Halloween 3 which would be a good rip... "3 more days 'till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, 3 more days 'till Halloween. Silver Shamrock!"

For a B level move, Shocker...there's a Horrace Pinker rap (done by Horrace Pinker himself, the X Files Mitch Pilleggi). It's on the song Shockdance by he Dudes of Wrath. Megadeth's remake of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" is from this movie as well.

Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo?

Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.

From the 90's From Dusk 'Till Dawn soundtrack we have Dark Night by The Blasters and She's Just Killin' Me by ZZ Top

George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone was heavily featured in Christine

Ever since it was featured in The Stand, Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper has creeped me out slightly...

If you get your hands on the movie The Monster Squad, The end credits song there, titled The Monster Squad, would fit the bill. As a kid I taped it by holding a microphone up to my TV's speaker while playing the VHS tape (old skool piracy LOL)

Nthing Ramones Pet Semetary

The 80's new wave rock Transylvania 6-5000 from the song of the same name is hysterical to listen to, I crack up every time.

And with that my brain is tapped for the moment...I'm sure I'll think of ones I wished I'd mentioned during the day, so if I do I'll post 'em again.
posted by arniec at 7:53 AM on September 26, 2008 [3 favorites]

arniec You're my hero. "Don't Fear the Reaper" also works well with its Halloween/Scream connection as well.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but if anyone else who's reading this thread hasn't seen it yet, Freddy's Greatest Hits is a great compilation of Freddy Kreuger cackling in the background as "the Elm Street Group" sing mostly Mo-Town hits.
posted by bookwo3107 at 8:13 AM on September 26, 2008

Pretty obscure, but there's always the (kinda) breakdancing version of the Friday the 13th theme for Part 3.
posted by rhizome at 9:39 AM on September 26, 2008

The whole soundtrack for Return of the Living Dead would be relevant. The two tracks that instantly come to mind are the Cramps' "Surfin' Dead" and Roky Erickson's "Burn the Flames".
posted by philip-random at 9:50 AM on September 26, 2008

What about Ben, the rat love song by Michael Jackson?
posted by O9scar at 10:00 AM on September 26, 2008

Theme from the Exorcist 2 - especially if you can find a high tempo version performed by some rip-off band in a bargain bin. It's utter lunacy.

You'll want some John Campenter and Goblins in there too, mind.
posted by Artw at 10:33 AM on September 26, 2008

This sounds great - any chance you wanna upload the final product to Pirate Bay?
posted by mannequito at 11:01 AM on September 26, 2008

mannequito - assuming I can grab all these, I'd be more then happy to, lol.

Thanks everybody for your answers - I'm going to get to hunting.
posted by bookwo3107 at 11:06 AM on September 26, 2008

coming late to this thread, but when i used to put together scary mixtapes for people, i'd always include that "Theres no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going..." bit from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Marilyn Manson recorded a version of it on one of his early albums, I think Portrait of an American Family?
posted by silverstatue at 9:25 AM on September 30, 2008

« Older picture printing and framing   |   Ending concerts with concerti? Newer »