What site allowed you to upload a file and then would email the download link to your recipient?

Does anyone remember the webpage that allowed you to upload a file, and then the site would email a download link to your intended recipient? I need a solution to enable the sending of 80mb files, where the recipient is not very computer-savvy.
posted by reverendX to Computers & Internet (29 answers total)

DropLoad, courtesy of the enigmatic and handsome Andre Torrez.
posted by bradlands at 10:58 AM on September 17, 2004

Dropload.com! By our very own perplexed
posted by mathowie at 10:59 AM on September 17, 2004

YouSendIt.com is another alternative, but frankly I use Dropload.
posted by riffola at 11:09 AM on September 17, 2004

YouSendIt.com - link fixed.
posted by riffola at 11:10 AM on September 17, 2004

awesome! thanks guys
posted by reverendX at 11:35 AM on September 17, 2004

Somebody should build an online community around this technology. Members could upload files (e.g., images, songs, videos, and text), and others could rate and comment upon them. I'm sure such a site would be prohibitively expensive to maintain.
posted by Eamon at 12:28 PM on September 17, 2004

That could never happen, Eamon.

Never.
posted by adampsyche at 12:57 PM on September 17, 2004

Eamon- keep dreaming big!
posted by dogwelder at 1:00 PM on September 17, 2004

You'd have to restrict membership, or something, to keep costs down. But, yeah, it's a good idea.
posted by jpoulos at 1:03 PM on September 17, 2004

The only way this would really work, I think, is if you regularly deleted the unused accounts.
posted by luriete at 1:06 PM on September 17, 2004

very funny, eamon. We could always use DropCash to support such a site.
posted by shoepal at 1:07 PM on September 17, 2004

Eamon, that's a great idea, though one would have to make a rule after building such a magical place that one is to never speak of the magic outside of the confines of the magical place.
posted by mathowie at 1:34 PM on September 17, 2004

you'd probably have to disable extensions to use such a fictional site.
posted by the_ill_gino at 2:11 PM on September 17, 2004

That site is SO fictional it can't even handle extensions! Now that's what I call fictional!
posted by kenko at 2:19 PM on September 17, 2004

Personally, I think a high contrast color scheme would be far more appropriate than a gold dollar sign.
posted by luriete at 2:25 PM on September 17, 2004

As an alumnus of the University of Illinois, I'm partial to orange and blue.
posted by Eamon at 2:30 PM on September 17, 2004

I would think you'd have to have some sort of Platinum status for the elite members.
posted by dogwelder at 2:30 PM on September 17, 2004

Perhaps as well said site could have a separate section for discussion, trolling, love and computer advice, and the occasional flameout?
posted by whoshotwho at 2:34 PM on September 17, 2004

And a radio station! That's it!
posted by adampsyche at 2:43 PM on September 17, 2004

Eamon Yahoo groups allows this functionality. It supports mailing lists, chat, unlimited file upload/download to a space cap, polls, group bookmark list. Group admins can be complete facsists about access/moderation or leave it wide open with many steps in between.
posted by Mitheral at 2:53 PM on September 17, 2004

But Yahoo groups apparently, from what I understand, has a problem about the proximity of porn to kittens. This fictional site, which will remain in a special part of our imaginations forever and never actually cohere in this universe, would feature - nay, it would PROMINENTLY feature - double nay, it would IMMOLATE ITSELF in the porn / kitten duality.
posted by luriete at 3:18 PM on September 17, 2004

Goddammit, all you Filepile-ers just stop rubbing it in already!
posted by thebabelfish at 3:29 PM on September 17, 2004

thhebabelfish -- what is this filepile of which you speak? I thought it was only a myth!
posted by sugarfish at 3:54 PM on September 17, 2004

A conference bridge would also be nice.

Yes. Fictitiously.
posted by adampsyche at 4:12 PM on September 17, 2004

just stop rubbing it in already!

especially in Ask!

bastards
posted by CunningLinguist at 5:10 PM on September 17, 2004

Anyone on the outside wanting to peek in through a window, here's a mirror of the picture pile.
posted by riffola at 7:54 PM on September 17, 2004

The first rule of Magical Place™ is: you don't talk about Magical Place™.
posted by bachelor#3 at 11:22 PM on September 17, 2004

You are all grotesque.

I was a member of filepile in the first week or two....ehh. Mr Torrez wrote a really great script, beautiful at the time, old now, as it were.

I left Metafilter 3 years ago because it was overrun by all of you. There was a time when Metafilter was great, and it was the moment Andre launched filepile...but that time is long gone.

RIP, Metafilter. For one long shining moment, you were the greatest thing on the WWW. I love you, and I always will.

Goodnight, Sweet Prince.
posted by red cell at 3:11 AM on September 18, 2004

I don't understand what any of you are talking about.
posted by spslsausse at 2:31 PM on September 18, 2004

« Older Can I automate the creation of PDFs from a large...   |   Is it possible to use wget, httrack, or something... Newer »