food for thought, synonyms

hi everyone i am curious of what one calls food that is in the process of being digested. or of nutrient being assimilated by something. as in when someone says "food for thought", what can that stuff be called? ...though, while id be curious about any manifestation of that idea, i'm particularly curious about figures of speech involving the food animation of the concept...
posted by plants to Writing & Language (14 answers total)

I've always been partial to the bolus.
posted by grobstein at 9:17 PM on September 24, 2008

I'm not sure what the question is, but food in the process of being digested is called digesta.
posted by lore at 9:28 PM on September 24, 2008

Bolus is a good one, yeah.
posted by turgid dahlia at 9:30 PM on September 24, 2008

I'm all for chyme.
posted by pullayup at 9:48 PM on September 24, 2008

I call it my "food baby."
posted by The Light Fantastic at 9:56 PM on September 24, 2008 [1 favorite]

Chyme is the word I have used for this.

The bolus is a shape; it forms in the posterior oropharynx and moves down the esophagus. It has nothing to do with digestion of the food and it falls apart when it enters the stomach.
posted by ikkyu2 at 10:38 PM on September 24, 2008

Cud if you're a ruminant.
posted by kindall at 11:10 PM on September 24, 2008

Lumber.
posted by jcruelty at 11:33 PM on September 24, 2008

I kind of like how it comes down to context - if the process is happening inside us, we call it "digesting", and we think it's great, and if the process is happening outside of us, we call it "rotting", and we think it's horrible. :-)

(Of course that's fair enough, because the bacteria that gets to go to the party inside us is strictly by invitation only, and a highly respectable crowd is maintained, whereas those unregulated outdoor parties are gatecrashed by all sorts of toxic types showing up and going nuts over everything, spoiling it for the rest of us)
posted by -harlequin- at 11:34 PM on September 24, 2008 [1 favorite]

Cud.
posted by pompomtom at 11:36 PM on September 24, 2008

The medical term is chyme.
posted by gramcracker at 5:00 AM on September 25, 2008

The phrase "food for thought" refers to partially digested food? I always thought it meant "here's something to think about."
posted by solipsophistocracy at 8:52 AM on September 25, 2008 [1 favorite]

I'm chyming in too.
posted by mendel at 5:44 PM on September 25, 2008 [1 favorite]

My favorite tripping story - I gave myself anorexia for 3 months after realizing that we consume nutrients by breaking food matter up with what is essentially stones in our mouths and then sending the organic matter to our stomachs to rot. Never eat after tripping.
posted by The Light Fantastic at 11:07 PM on September 25, 2008 [1 favorite]

« Older Cabo San Lucas Mexi-Fun   |   Cold weather and male “shrinkage” Newer »