Who are your favorite underappreciated painters, sculptors and photographers (etc.)?

So I started a new site which is basically endowment bait for underappreciated visual artists. I want to get lots of people involved; who are your favorite young, new, upcoming or otherwise underappreciated painters, sculptors and photographers (etc.)? This is proving an excellent way for me to see all kinds of stuff that doesn't get to the few good galleries near where I live or the big museums that I visit whenever I can.
posted by luriete to Media & Arts (16 answers total)

Dude, you can't do this here.
posted by jpoulos at 9:50 AM on September 16, 2004

OK. Sorry. Delete please. I didn't mean it as an ad. The link can be taken out.
posted by luriete at 9:55 AM on September 16, 2004

I think you can do it, but just not link to your site. Just say you've got a site that does what your site does and you're looking for recommendations for artists.

I recommend Dana Boettger, which is also sorta a self link as I designed it. (Note: she's not "young"; and I gotta say having an age thing on any kind of endowments/grants/whatever always annoys the hell out of me.)
posted by dobbs at 10:18 AM on September 16, 2004

which is also sorta a self link as I designed it.

Dude, you can't do this here.
posted by anathema at 10:45 AM on September 16, 2004

"Waiting" from dobbs' link is really cool.
posted by kenko at 10:53 AM on September 16, 2004

Yeah, dobbs has it right, I think. The post would be fine if it didn't link to the site.

Very cool site, nonetheless.
posted by jpoulos at 10:58 AM on September 16, 2004

I wish I could re-edit the original post but I can see where that would cause problems.
posted by luriete at 11:32 AM on September 16, 2004

Nice looking sites.
posted by anathema at 11:47 AM on September 16, 2004

I like Ian McFarlane's work.
posted by fletchmuy at 11:53 AM on September 16, 2004

Other artists I like are Matt Sesow (I have two of his mid-90s pieces, which I prefer to his recent stuff), Tyler Clark Burke (couldn't find a link proper to her art--she also did most of the album art for the early Three Gut releases), Nate Van Dyke, Avid Liongoren (though he's more of an illustrator), Salty Dave, Amy Thompson, Dril One, and Gary Taxali.

Yeah, I'm trying to snare that one right now, actually.

Dude, you can't do this here.

"it's ok to link to your own things as comments in threads, if it adds to the discussion"... from the MeFi guidelines.
posted by dobbs at 12:15 PM on September 16, 2004

Yeah keep the links coming: I've been looking for some pieces along these lines (and price points).
posted by fionab at 12:20 PM on September 16, 2004

Artists and people who like art should also check out the mailing list at Akimbo. Very informative and free to join.
posted by dobbs at 12:38 PM on September 16, 2004

great idea...check out my blog's archives (see my user page) for some people you might like to use, or plep's or solipsistic's ...
posted by amberglow at 1:52 PM on September 16, 2004

a local artist that has some really cool stuff is Joseph Arcovitch. I got a couple of his prints at the Open Studio that is held yearly here in Vermont. Some nude drawings.
posted by evening at 2:04 PM on September 16, 2004

oh, and there's John Brickels who does these amazing sculptures. We're not huge art people, esp. sculpture, but we plan on owning one of his pieces someday.

His attention to detail is amazing. At the fair he had a piece of an old amusement park complete with a rollercoaster. It was quite cool; so much to look at. Too bad he doesn't have a picture of it.
posted by evening at 4:54 PM on September 16, 2004

alexandra gapihan
older pieces, the site hasn't been updated in a year
posted by Grod at 11:48 AM on September 17, 2004

« Older Trip Hop   |   Blackberry Advice Newer »