Please help me identify this music magazine.

I used to have a subscription to a music magazine that delivered a compilation CD with every issue. The genre was modern/alternative rock, and this would have been in the first half of the 1990s. The only other thing I remember is that the name started with an "R", but I could definitely be wrong about that.

This has been driving me nuts; does anyone remember the name of this magazine?
posted by lalex to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

Relix?
posted by lore at 6:28 PM on September 19, 2008

Assuming you're definitely wrong about that, it sounds similiar to MAGNET.
posted by tristero at 6:30 PM on September 19, 2008

Could it be CMJ? I bought it regularly in the 90s.
posted by ten pounds of inedita at 6:30 PM on September 19, 2008

ooooh, thanks tristero. Wikipedia's Magnet entry has this:

Music magazines with a similar focus in the 1990s era included Option, Raygun, and Alternative Press.

I am almost positive the magazine I am thinking of is Raygun; thanks to all for for the suggestions!
posted by lalex at 6:52 PM on September 19, 2008

Another possibility (in case it wasn't Raygun) might be Lollipop Magazine which is no longer in print. Its still regularly published online though. Print editions came with a cd.
posted by blaneyphoto at 7:09 PM on September 19, 2008

I used to buy Raygun on the newstand. Beautiful magazine with great graphic design - I sure don't remember a CD with every issue. Must have been blinded by the typography.
posted by extrabox at 8:23 PM on September 19, 2008

In the 1990s, my room was packed full of music magazines. I bought Ray Gun once in a while, but don't recall ever getting a cd with that one. After I read your question, I was trying to remember a series of alternative compilations and magazines I used to have loads of.. and I finally remembered it was called huH, which Wikipedia confirms was a popular music mag in the 90s. It also says that it was published by the same company as Ray Gun.
posted by Mael Oui at 8:31 PM on September 19, 2008

Sorry to everyone for the schizophrenic responses; huH is definitely, absolutely the magazine! I think I also received Raygun at the time and was getting my memories confused; again, thanks to all for the useful answers.
posted by lalex at 8:48 PM on September 19, 2008

« Older FBI Agent Firearm(s)   |   Bluetooth headset reccommendations for iPhone 3G. Newer »