How many people work from home who aren't traditional telecommuters?
September 17, 2008 12:46 PM   Subscribe

I'm trying to figure out how many people in the US work from home, but aren't (traditional) telecommuters.

I'm trying to figure out the # of people who 'work from home' - and am wondering if anyone has any ideas. Specifically, I'm looking to understand how many people are actually employed by those 'work from home!' Companies (eg freelance writing, online tutoring, survey-answering etc. ) I'm not interested in your basic telecommuter- but instead, the group of people looking for part-time work, flexible hours, convenience of never having to leave your house, and cash.

Any thoughts on how to figure out how many people do that sort of thing? Is there a commercial service that aggregates this kind of data? Google Answers has some old Small Business Administration surveys, but they don't quite match up- they are mostly telecommuters, not work from home / freelance folks.
posted by jenkinsEar to Work & Money (3 answers total)

This site would be a good starting point.
posted by desjardins at 12:58 PM on September 17, 2008

Haven't clicked through on this, but here's a set of statistics that might help.
posted by brandman at 1:00 PM on September 17, 2008

Awesome, thanks all- I hadn't seen the BLS report before, just the SBA stats. Fast Work!
posted by jenkinsEar at 1:26 PM on September 17, 2008

« Older Help me find an annoying Flash animation from way...   |   What useful trade can I learn to survive a... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.